PDA

View Full Version : GPS overlay on Map

jimmydacraw
4th Jun 2004, 14:12
Hi,

I am doing a bit of flying in Australia at the moment (and hugely enjoying the freedom compared to the UK!!). I have had a GPS Map 196 on board all the time recording the tracks that I've flown. I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that would overlay these tracks on to a colour map of Australia.. ie. I plug my GPS in to the serial port and it puts the tracks on the map!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jimmydacraw

Fly Stimulator
4th Jun 2004, 14:37
I use Jeppesen FliteStar to do just that here in Europe.

Do remember to save the tracks periodically in the 196 or they'll start to get over-written as the memory fills up.

jimmydacraw
4th Jun 2004, 14:46
Thanks for bringing up a very valid point!
Any idea how I do that? The manual has been "misplaced"!

Jimmydacraw

Fly Stimulator
4th Jun 2004, 14:53
From the 'Tracks' page press the 'Menu' button and you'll get the option to save it. You can then clear the current track so it can start afresh.

You can also set the recording interval (can't remember what they call it on the screen) to something like 400' so that the memory doesn't fill up so fast.

You can also download the manual from the Garmin site. (http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp)

jimmydacraw
4th Jun 2004, 15:40
Great! Thanks very much for your help.

I have Flitestar Europe at home too but I guess it won't be of much use?

If anyone knows of any other program that I can do it with your suggestions are more than welcome!

Jimmydacraw

Fly Stimulator
4th Jun 2004, 15:52
That depends what you want. My European version of FliteStar has the basic maps for the whole world. It's just the aeronautical data which is absent for everywhere outside the Atlantic/Europe area. For Australia the major towns are shown, as is topographical data, state boundaries etc.

If all you need is to impose your flightpaths on a map of Australia then you probably already have everything you need.

IO540
4th Jun 2004, 19:20
Not sure exactly what you mean but Oziexplorer

www.oziexplorer.com

might do what you want. Also Navbox www.navbox.nl is capable of uploading the GPS data and plotting it over a map but you can't choose the map; you have to use the one that comes with it.

yakker
4th Jun 2004, 20:06
Garmins metro guide will allow you to do this. Unfortunately it does not have the airfeilds on.