PDA

View Full Version : HSI with a suction failure?

Bear Cub
8th Aug 2000, 09:13
Instructor chappies (and chappesses),

I was recently leafing through a book about flying on instruments - and was looking at the difference between a "Direction Indicator" and a "Horizontal Situation Indicator".

I get the impression that an HSI is still a gyro driven DI - but with a few extra goodies attached.

Question: if your aircraft suffers a gyro suction failure, which of the HSI components are usable/unusable?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

A and C
8th Aug 2000, 11:30
First find out if the HSI is air or electricly driven.

Checkboard
8th Aug 2000, 11:45
Assuming it is air driven (which is pretty rare) then the DG protion fails, but the VOR presentation still works.

Bear Cub
8th Aug 2000, 17:09
Checkboard...had a feeling that would be the case...but would it matter that the "direction" that you set the VOR CDI to would not be correct...and may be rotating?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

DB6
9th Aug 2000, 01:38
HSIs in my experience are usually slaved to a flux valve at one of the aircraft's extremities. Don't think they employ gyros at all but without going and looking through my ATPL notes I can't be 100% sure.

dragchute
9th Aug 2000, 17:11
The H.S.I. does indeed utilize a gyroscope (directional) and usually electrically powered, to provide a steady reference direction. Like the D.G. the reference direction is subject to precession and transport errors. The gyro must also be aligned either manually or automatically with magnetic north. A mode selector on the panel in the vicinity of the display (mechanical or EFIS) controls the source of magnetic input to the H.S.I. In the 'auto' mode directional information is provided from the flux detector. In the 'manual' mode the indicator may be slewed to realign with the standby compass system - a switched version of a D.G. Hence when used in conjunction with a C.D.I. the information is correct in either mode.

Some stand-by H.S.I's. have vacuum powered gyroscopes using the bleed air system to generate the vacuum.

A and C
14th Aug 2000, 18:54
One type of HSI that is found in light aircraft uses air to drive the gyro and electrics to sync the compass card it seems you are in for an interesting time what ever fails.