PDA

View Full Version : What is the most common cause for delays?

NW3
3rd Jun 2004, 19:40
Hi Everyone.

Just reading an interesting thread about late arriving SLF, and how it can be a bit awkward when the plane is delayed and therefore there should be time to get them on the flight etc. etc.

Got me thinking, and I was just wondering what the most common cause of a plane departing late is. My guess is that it would be one of the following:

- technical problem with the a/c
- SLF issues - i.e. having to get bags off when SLF doesn't turn up
- inbound flight late arriving (aagh recursion)
- resources - not enough cabin crew / pilots
- ... any others?

Thanks

NW3 :)

Notso Fantastic
3rd Jun 2004, 20:06
Loading delayed with airport problems, security, passenger congestion, people lost. Problems loading cargo in the hold, late catering, industrial disputes amongst airport staff, Air Traffic Control delays, airfield congestion, bad weather........you want more? Happy soul, aren't you?

fireflybob
3rd Jun 2004, 20:13
And rarely, if ever, are the delays caused by aircrew not doing their job properly - just thought I would drop this one in! - in fact, many delays minimised by aircrew acting "pro-actively" to prevent delays or improve the situation.

And of course, many other departments within the company, Ops/Crewing also working like one armed paper hangers to do the same.

chiglet
3rd Jun 2004, 20:43
As an ATCer......
I have heard.......The pax are in duty free....
This flight is delayed due to ATC....[F/O "overslept"]
Broken Towbar
We haven't got a tug...although in fairness, I was on a Fam Flight [remember them] and the tug was taken away for a "Freight" flt with a slot time 15 mins after ours :confused:

One "good 'un", good old Laker PA "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are late with the catering. However, we have a slot of xxxx. IF we load the catering, we will miss the slot, but we will provide Free Drinks instead can we go without food?"
Guess the answer.....
watp,iktch

witchdoctor
4th Jun 2004, 12:03
From my short and undistinguished dispatch career so far:-

Late inbound a/c
Late/missing pax
No ground handling crew/equipment
Slot restrictions

Very occasionally, the crew cause delays, usually taking too long to carry out security checks on tight turnarounds and preventing the pax from boarding on time. Somehow, this is always the fault of the ground handling agent too. ;)

There's all kind of wierd and wonderful additions to the list, but I suspect these are the most common, certainly at the regional airports.

NW3
4th Jun 2004, 12:09
Thanks for the replies. I guess that if something goes wrong with a system, or a mechanical part or something, then that's just bad luck. It's got to be quite frustrating to have someone dawdling in the bar / lost their boarding card / etc. and therefore holding up a bunch of people for no good reason.

Notso... I am a happy soul normally :)

NW3

Jerricho
4th Jun 2004, 17:15
Hammy doing Final Director and Point 7 doing Arrivals!

:p :p :p

Seriously though, another big reason can be a strong headwind at an airfield. If a runway capacity is declared but the landing rate is being pushed down by a strong headwind, this is ultimately going to cause flow back ups.