PDA

View Full Version : Respecting FI's too much

SkidSolo
8th Nov 2000, 21:47
Is it possible to respect an instructor so much (ex-military Harrier test pilot or Concorde pilots for example) that its almost intimidating?

I am not flying well but know I am much better.

Just a thought.

DB6
9th Nov 2000, 02:33
Being an ex-military Harrier pilot or Concorde pilot doesn't neccessarily make a good instructor. If you're not learning try another instructor, nobody should object if they have your best interests at heart (which they should have).
Cheers DB6

Flying Lawyer
9th Nov 2000, 03:14
Good question SkidSolo.
I think the answer is Yes - but the problem soon disappears as you get to know him and begin to relax. In reality, you are probably not flying badly at all - you're just unduly worried about what someone for whom you have such great respect thinks of your efforts.

Your question struck a chord with me because I often used to fly a Harvard with Ray Hanna in the back -and it always gave me mixed feelings. Having a former leader of the Arrows, generally regarded as one of the finest display pilots ever, watching my amateur efforts used to unsettle me. I did find it slightly intimidating - even though he is a good friend, and one of the most unassuming and modest people imaginable. But, as time went on, I relaxed, reminded myself that he wouldn't expect me to fly to his standards, and made the most of the opportunity to learn from one of the "Greats."
Don't rush into changing instructors - consider how lucky you are to be flying with someone who is obviously an exceptional pilot. If it turns out that, however good a pilot he is, he can't instruct (or you genuinely can't cope with the added "pressure") - that's the time to change, not before.
Good Luck.

Just my thoughts as a PPL for what they're worth. Hope you (and the instructors on this forum) don't mind me butting in!
http://avanimation.avsupport.com/gif/small/08.gif

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 09 November 2000).]

Meeb
9th Nov 2000, 19:50
Well said Flying lawyer. It is also good to see a student show respect to his Instructor, and I can assure SkidSolo that if you told your instructor what you have said here he would be most concerned, if he is an instructor worth his salt (which I am sure he is) then he would immediately put you at your ease. Flying Instructors are not mind readers (not to that extent anyway), so a gentle chat would probably clear everything up. Good Luck, let us all know how you go? :)

piloteddy
10th Nov 2000, 02:55
Flying Lawyer,

How the hell did you get that nifty little graphic onto your post?

I'd love to find out, so please could you enlighten me :)

PilotEddy

spanwiseflow
10th Nov 2000, 04:58
Try to impress yourself, not the instructor.

Tinstaafl
11th Nov 2000, 02:45
You can never respect your instructor too much! At least, not if it keeps you buying him or her all the drinks at the bar! :) :) :)

------------
I'm thirsty. Where's my student got to now?

neutral99
12th Nov 2000, 14:20
Superb post, Flying Lawyer.

I think that's as good and helpful answer as you could possibly get SkidSolo.

SkidSolo? Hello? Hello? Are you there?

SkidSolo
13th Nov 2000, 13:39
Yes, thankyou Flying Lawyer et al.
I was just deliberating whether or not to explain my situation a little bit more.

Actually, its a FI course I'm doing so being at the stage of 250 hours and behaving like this is a bit embarassing.

I'll probably knock on the head due to financial reasons though.

Thanks for your replies.