PDA

View Full Version : Which Route CPL/FI or CPL/IR

aces low
31st Oct 2000, 13:38
Your probably thinking this question should be on the wannabe pages, but I thought I might get some experienced pilot’s views from this site.

The question is which is the better route for a 39-year-old, 220 hours TT, shortly going to pass the ATPL JAR exams. My aspiration is to be an airline pilot, not a career instructor either. I am particularly interested in corporate or other interesting types of flying (e.g. Air Atlantique)…but time is short because of my age.

Route 1: CPL, FI then instruct to 1000 hours before taking IR/MCC and trying to get a job.

Route 2: CPL/IR/MCC and look for job immediately (Total time will only be 300ish).

As far as I can guess, route 1 is sane but slow. Whereas route 2 is quick, but may not be able to get a job when I complete the ratings.

What do the experienced, professional pilots who have made it reckon?

Icarus Wings
31st Oct 2000, 14:19
Difficult choice. If you can afford to do your CPL/IR/MCC you might aswell do it as soon as possible as either way you are gonna have to do it. Your problem then is your lack of hours so you could do the FI course and instruct while you are looking for another job. To get to your thousand hours by instructing will take you well over a year, thats if you do it full time. Everyone knows that FI`s aren`t the best paid aviators so that is something you will have to bear in mind. I think that getting an airline job with only 300hrs is gonna be quite hard at the moment but you never know.
My advice: give instructing a go, you might like it, you will build hours and it will eventually lead to other things.

aces low
31st Oct 2000, 16:48
Thanks for advice. Instructing full-time seems realistic, but ideally I should get the relevant Ratings (IR/MCC) on spec so that I am instantly employable. Howevr money may be a problem. I keep hearing about this envisaged pilot shortage, but still cynical about whether airlines will employ at 300 hours.Even so I do know someone with a RH seat at 250 hours?

Strange.

Noggin
2nd Nov 2000, 02:18
The choice may be more obvious than you imagined. The JAR-FCL ATPL exams are valid for 36 months from passing the first exam. You must complete your IR within this 36 month period or the exams expire.

DB6
2nd Nov 2000, 03:23
Do the FI/hours building first. I did it the other way and now have over 1000 hrs but my IF is **** since it's a year or so since my IR training. Try doing a sim ride after a year of not having flown IF. Hmmmmm.

spanwiseflow
8th Nov 2000, 03:53
I think your choise can be simplified to:
Can you get an airline job with CPL/FI and a few more hours in the book? Unlikely. You need the instrument rating

Can you get an airline job with CPL/MEIR, got to be a better shot.

Better still, do them both this will give you a better handle at instructing and give you the quals required for airline,

cheers and good luck!

Honest Frank
8th Nov 2000, 15:11
Also will a flying school want to employ someone with ATPL,Instrument rating & MCC.Surely they will realise you'll "be here today gone tommorrow" after building up a flying programme with them.They may even try and tie you up with a contract.(Not sure if they can legally do that though)
I know of two Instructors who joined a flying school with all the Airline qualifications ,built up good flying programmes then left after a couple of months to the disgust of the flying schools directors.Still the number 1 rule is LOOK AFTER NUMBER 1.
Just be very careful what you say at the interview at the flying school(when you get one)Obviously if you do decide to do IR& mcc then get a job instructing job then dont say you are looking for an airline job.Lie a bit.

RVR800
8th Nov 2000, 18:00
I would do the IR first
Then FI
Build hours
Then MCC later on
(not all airlines require this)