PDA

View Full Version : Differences Training

Bear Cub
31st Oct 2000, 07:53
Damned fine chap that i know recently passed his PPL Skill Test in a Cessna 152 (spit) - now has access to a Grumman AA5 (Tigger).

SPA/SEP (Land) rating covers it...but what does he need to do about differences?

Aircraft owner or full instructor?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

NIMBUS
31st Oct 2000, 10:15
FULL INSTRUCTOR!
Handles totally different, lands totally different, stalls like a S.O.B! Plus, way faster for a fresh pilot...
Good little plane, though, he won't want to get into a 152 ever again...!

Bear Cub
31st Oct 2000, 17:21
Had another think about this since posting the original message.

Both Cessna 152 are fixed gear, fixed prop, tricycle undercarriage bog standard birdies.

Does it actually REQUIRE differences training and would that make a difference as to why teaches it?

Before the flaming - I am in FULL agreement of training for any new type or model before being alowed to fly it solo...that was never in question...it is more a case of what is required under JAA "law".

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

TWINCOMM
31st Oct 2000, 21:12
The AA5 has a tank selector and two tanks to think about for a start. It may not sound like a big deal but in a 152 you total the two gauges - in the AA5 you only use the one selected. There may be fuel in the tanks but its useless if the empty one is selected. This happens quite often when people convert.

The handling with 4 up is also a bit different than a fully loaded 152. If my memory serves correctly, the CG and Weight & Balance needs watching too.

------------------
TwinComm

hugh flung_dung
31st Oct 2000, 22:04
There is no REQUIREMENT for differences training under JAR as this only applies to CS prop, tailwheel, pressurised & retractable.
The AA5 series are very pleasant to fly but they used to have the worst landing accident record - possibly because they are a little less draggy than some other trainers, need a bit more runway and have a springy nose leg.
For an experienced pilot who has flown a number of types the handling differences will be insignificant and a checkout with a competent owner should be enough. For a newly qualified pilot a checkout with an instructor would be advisable.

Tinstaafl
31st Oct 2000, 22:07
Castoring nosewheel in the AA5 as well, unlike the standard rudder pedal interconnect on the C152.

Noggin
31st Oct 2000, 22:20
Differences Training is required for the following features;

VP prop;
Retractable Undercarriage; Turbo/Supercharger;
Cabin Presurisation;
Tail Wheel

Between different aircraft in a Class, familiarisation is required, this could include reading the Manual.

NIMBUS
2nd Nov 2000, 06:04
Hi Noggin,
What is a 'VP' Prop...? I assume its' just a typo, but if not, please explain.

NIMBUS
2nd Nov 2000, 06:09
Noggin,
I guess I should think first!
Sorry,
'Variable Pitch'!!!!!
I always call it 'Constant Speed' (CS)
(Yes, I am embarrassed!!!!)

Luftwaffle
2nd Nov 2000, 20:13
In Canada you do not legally need any kind of instruction to go from:

tricycle gear to conventional gear
floatplane to flying boat
fixed pitch to constant speed prop
Cessna 172 to weightshift ultralight

I think the bit in the air law requiring the PIC to have all the information relevant to the flight kind of covers this.

Noggin
5th Nov 2000, 03:20
JAR-FCL specifies differences training however, JAR-FCL is not Law in the UK. I cannot find any reference to differences training in ANO 2000, so whilst JAR-FCL requires it, it looks as though you cannot be prosecuted if you don't do it.