PDA

View Full Version : UK Instrucor Rating

JaneStop This Crazy Thing
30th May 2000, 15:49
Does anyone know if a Australian Instructor rating is usable or covertable in the UK, I can live and work in the UK.(and how do I change my CPL over. I was there in December abd the info I got was very vague)

A Very Civil Pilot
2nd Jun 2000, 21:49
There should be some stuff in the archives about changing to a UK CPL. Basically allow a year an £10,000! I converted an NZ CPL some time back and it took ages. You'll probably have to do a JAR course which will be even worse (sorry to be pessimistic, but it's not an easy job).

Not sure about the instructor rating, but you'll probably have to do the whole UK course and test.

Try www.caa.srg.co.uk (http://www.caa.srg.co.uk)

BlueLine
4th Jun 2000, 12:25
Go to the site listed above and look for GID 34 "Requirements for the conversion of Aeroplane (Landplane) Flight Instructor Ratings issued by other countries".

In essence it includes a minimum of 30 hours theoretical and 15 hours flight training.

You will also need a UK or JAR-FCL pilot licence with CPL level knowledge.

inyoni
4th Jun 2000, 12:31
I converted my SA CPL/IR some years back - had to do all the exams and tests again, but for the Instructors I had to do sufficient ground & flight training at the discretion of an FIC Instuctor (an instrucor who is qualified to train instructors) and a Flight test with a designated CAA examiner, so I didn't have to do the whole 3o flying etc. Did 5 hours flying and about the same ground. Don't think thing will be much different under JAR - best to speak to someone at AOPA UK.

watford
4th Jun 2000, 15:29
Sorry, inyoni, not true. Things are very different under JAR.

30 hours ground training and 15 hours flight training is the minimum for the holder of a non-JAA instructor rating/certificate, that includes instructors from JAA member states which have not yet fully implemented JAR-FCL1 (France, Germany, etc, etc.). After completing the mandatory training and passing the test with a FIE, you will get only a 'restricted' rating, allowing you to work under the supervision of a nominated FI for a minimum of 100 hours and until you have supervised 25 solo flights. Therafter, on the recommendation of the nominated FI, the restrictions will be removed.

As BlueLine says, GID 34 has all of the information that you need.