PDA

View Full Version : Croft Farm nr Worcester

Fly Stimulator
2nd Jun 2004, 20:24
I have a Danish friend coming over for the PFA Rally who wants to visit some relatives in Worcester while he's here and has asked me about nearby strips.

The closest one seems to be Croft Farm. I have Lockyears so have the basic details, but it would be useful to hear from anybody who has actually flown in there.

Alternative suggestions welcome too!

vanhigher
2nd Jun 2004, 20:53
I've landed at Croft Farm a couple of years ago.( a doddle in a 152) The strip is extremely easy to find due to the nearby "golf-ball" radar installations adjacent to the strip.

the approaches are absolutely brilliant, no obstructions at all, and when I visited ,the strip was very well kept, freshly mown, and the owner was very welcoming - no landing fee, just a donation to a mission - as far as I remember.

360BakTrak
3rd Jun 2004, 07:53
If you ring Cotswold Aero Club at Gloucester and speak to Phil Mathews he should be able to tell you all you need to know. He's a regular into Croft Farm.
You can get the number off the website /www.cotswoldaeroclub.com

Mariner9
4th Jun 2004, 08:50
Looking at the chart, I see that Croft Farm is within an area of intense radio transmission (presumably from those golf ball radars?) up to 10K feet, so they must be powerful!

I've always avoided those in the past, but what do you do if you have to fly into them? All I can think of is perhaps turn off all avionics.

LowNSlow
4th Jun 2004, 10:41
Wearing lead underpants might also ensure you can continue to procreate...........

Fly Stimulator
4th Jun 2004, 10:48
In flight? And with the lead underpants on? :eek:

Sky would buy the broadcast rights in a flash!

PS - Thanks for the replies.

GK430
4th Jun 2004, 11:45
It's called Defford - ex RRE, RSRE, ??? and now undoubtedly Qinetiq.
I heard that Pigeons dropped over cooked anywhere nearby.

Yes, beats me how they fly in and out of the neighbouring field:confused:

arrow2
4th Jun 2004, 13:51
I flew in to Croft farm last June for a friend's birthday party. Great place. Usual short strip rules (I think it is about 560 metres) do the book calculations before. I took my Arrow in , made sure I was light on fuel and pax. I was down and stopped in about a third of the length with light winds. Take off was more interesting with southerly wind blowing across a line of trees creating turbulence and control stirring required after lift off. Probably used two thirds to get airborne.

DOC.400
4th Jun 2004, 14:32
Delightful little strip! No landing fee but donations to Missionary Flying in Africa?

Was a typical English looking pub 400yds away, run as an Italian restaurant (number in Lockyers) -best pasta I have ever had (and that includes Italy!), but to my utter dismay and disbelief, no espresso/cappucino machine..."But you're Italian!," I said, "But there eez no demand here!" says the waiter!!

Have fun!

Mel