PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel conversion in the NW

jma
2nd Jun 2004, 12:38
Can anybody suggest or recommend a school in the north-west who still offers tailwheel conversions?

Also any tips on the best aircraft types to train in (or ones to avoid!) would be appreciated.

Thanks

FNG
2nd Jun 2004, 12:44
Maybe try Barton? As for aircraft types, perhaps a Cub or a Chipmunk. If no joy at Barton, maybe 'op over t'Pennines for Cap 10 or Tiger Moth at Sherburn.

Types to avoid? Probably worth being a bit gingerish about Mk XXIV Spitfires, Sea Furies, and the like, at least until you've got a few tailwheel hours. Otherwise, can't think of any of the commonly available taildraggers not to convert on.

freefallfun
2nd Jun 2004, 14:26
Hi,

I'm currently working through my tailwheel conversion on a Citabria at Liverpool Flying School. The only other place I know of in the NW is Comed @ Blackpool who I think have a Chipmunk.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

FreeFallFun.

(Edited for typos)

FNG
2nd Jun 2004, 16:00
That's a thought: didn't Poetpilot buy a Citabria and take it oop north? (mainly to save it from being thrashed by Evo, if I recall correctly). Send him a PM.

Evo
2nd Jun 2004, 17:02
Hey, I'd finished thrashing it and was just starting to fly it with ... well, not skill exactly, but not total ineptitude either :O

Very nice aeroplane though. Wish it was still here... :(

Sir George Cayley
2nd Jun 2004, 18:37
They're talking about your a/c here time for a plug!

I can tell you Barton was offered it but turned it down.

Nothing currently on LAC's fleet but plenty of taildraggers based inc a Pitts S2 (Four Eyes.com) but that may be a bit hot to start on

Sir George Cayley

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Jun 2004, 18:49
As Sir George says, all trike fleet at Barton these days despite some very able tailwheel (and aeros) instructors on the staff. Poet gave Barton first choice to base his Citabria there, but they turned him down (no idea why - no financial risk to Barton, all risk with Poet. Must be some wierd politicing that's beyond SSD).

So it's now at Scouseport :~(

SSD

poetpilot
15th Jun 2004, 06:42
Thanks for the plug, guys! :D

SSD is right. I don't want to speculate on the reasons why Barton turned it down, but their loss is Liverpool Flying School's gain!

Yup, it's available at LFS for £98.50 per hour + instructor + landings. It's not heavily booked up (which is nice for me 'cos it's usually available when I want to fly it). There's a couple of good instructors there who will teach you.

Alternatively, we were considering some w/e bisits to Barton if there was enough interest from the grass roots flyers to warrant it, but again, to do that regularly, I need to clear it with t'Committee, and I just don't have the time these days to do that (very busy workwise right now).

greeners
15th Jun 2004, 18:58
jma

As well as the a/c - and as already stated here, most of the standard types are fine to start off on - make sure that the instructor that you fly with has decent tailwheel experience. Without delving into the whole " are they or aren't they more difficult" debate, the fact remains that ground handling is critical with taildraggers and you really need to be shown how to do it properly by somebody who has been there and eaten the cereal.

Good luck - its great fun! :)

BlueRobin
16th Jun 2004, 10:50
Well it's about time you started running an "beginner's" tailwheel aircraft to show them how! :p

greeners
16th Jun 2004, 16:13
Now THERE'S an idea BR - a nice cheap taildragger that I can use to commute to Kemble that we can also do ab-initio training on....;)

BlueRobin
17th Jun 2004, 09:50
Our was cheaper than a number of simpler taildraggers I could mention but it's a handful. Had my first dual session in the 235hp Maule last night. Where's the "eek" button?

Still you've got the right idea. UH have masses of experience that could be passed on in this area. Yet as say Poet finds, utilisation isn't all that great for tailwheel aircraft in general. You really have to make a name for yourself in this field like Clacton do. Heck offer t/w PPLs if you want. If utilisation is down for training, then as you say using a simple tailwheel for transport between bases can allay this issue.

I lusted after my instructor's Emmy last night. Naughty!

An account here: http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6837