PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR Questions

Gruntos
2nd Jun 2004, 11:05
I have JAA PPL/IMC, an N reg plane and have started my FAA IR.

There is some confusion on what route I need to take. My instructor says I need to convert my JAA PPL to FAA PPL before I do anything else. However, I picked up here some time ago that you don't need to do this.

As I understand it the temporary Airman's Certificate can not have new ratings attached so is it the Ground exam and a BFR of do I have to take the full FAA PPL test.

Regards

Bob

Evo
2nd Jun 2004, 11:22
Assuming this is still up to date

http://www.pplir.org/index.cfm/pageid/181/subpageid/146

If you don’t have a foreign IR you can add a full FAA IR to your restricted certificate. To do this you must meet FAA IR training requirements and do the knowledge and flight tests. Having a restricted PPL with a full FAA IR sounds slightly odd but is entirely possible and many get their IR this way. The certificate will bear the note Instrument airplane U.S. test passed to distinguish it from an IR based on a foreign IR.

Keef
2nd Jun 2004, 11:41
You can indeed do an FAA IR and have it added to your "reciprocal" FAA PPL - the one based on your CAA/JAA PPL. The magic words on the reciprocal are "Instrument Airplane US Test Passed".

Cusco and I did exactly that a couple of years ago.

But while you're there ... if you can pass the IR checkride, I would think you can pass the FAA PPL checkride pretty easily (OK, it took me a day to do it), and then you have a full unrestricted FAA PPL/IR.

Don't forget the need for a visa before you set off to do it. If you're looking for recommendations, the general consensus is that the place to go is Naples Air Center. I know a lot of happy people with FAA IRs obtained there.

Gruntos
2nd Jun 2004, 11:43
Looking through the FAA restricted licences on PPLIR looks easy enough. I'll send off for a restricted licence and start that route!

Thanks

Bob

Chilli Monster
2nd Jun 2004, 12:04
Looking through the FAA restricted licences on PPLIR looks easy enough. I'll send off for a restricted licence and start that route!

Umm - how do you intend to 'send off for it'?

You will need to do (in order).

Notify CAA that you're going to apply for an FAA licence, so that they can very your particulars to the FAA - procedure and link to form here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/whatsnew.asp?groupid=612) .

Then you get in touch with the FAA, nominating a FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) using the form found here (http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf) . Obviously before you do that have a read of what they need on the FAA website here (http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp#verify) .

Having done that, and waited for your verification of authenticity to arrive (allow 90 days) you then have to make an appointment at the FSDO you've nominated in the U.S

If you haven't already got one then you've got to do all the above

Gruntos
2nd Jun 2004, 12:14
Having done that, and waited for your verification of authenticity to arrive (allow 90 days) you then have to make an appointment at the FSDO you've nominated in the U.S

Done that. Once I find out how much ( I knew the CAA would charge) I'll send off all the docs today

Thanks for the links

Charlie Zulu
2nd Jun 2004, 12:42
Just a note to Keef's post...

I'm one of those FAA IR's that am very happy with Naples Air Center who he speaks about.

If you can pass the FAA IR checkride then you shouldn't have any problems in passing the FAA PPL checkride.

However if you have lots of hours (over 250 hours) and most of the CPL requirements under Part 61 then the examiner will probably pursuade you to do the FAA CPL checkride instead.

I did (and passed)... four days after my FAA IR checkride.

But to answer the original question yes it is possible (that is how I held an IR for just under four days). You will need a restricted FAA PPL (issued under 61.75) and if that FAA PPL was issued a few years ago you'll need to have it verified by the procedure explained above (but you won't need to go to the FSDO).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Keef
2nd Jun 2004, 14:07
Indeed. The Examiner said "You have over 500 hours, you have an IR; you have passed both PPL and CPL writtens. I refuse to take you for a PPL checkride."

I had an FAA CPL/IR for a few weeks, then sent it back and exchanged it for a PPL/IR. I can cope better with that.

You CAN get your FAA reciprocal PPL without going to the USA - contact Tom Hughston for more information. But it's probably easier to get it in the USA and "activate" it there while you're at it. If you're going to do the IR over there, talk to Richard or Nikki at Naples Air Center and they will advise you (well) on how to go about things.

IO540
2nd Jun 2004, 16:24
Is this about adding an FAA IR onto an FAA "piggyback" PPL?

Personally I would always do the full FAA PPL. This avoids having to keep the CAA medical up to date; you never know what will turn up there and then the CAA can ground you even if you are flying under an FAA license...

Gruntos
2nd Jun 2004, 16:31
Personally I would always do the full FAA PPL. This avoids having to keep the CAA medical up to date; you never know what will turn up there and then the CAA can ground you even if you are flying under an FAA license...

I got my FAA III Medical when I got my JAA revalidated last month and I got a Student FAA medical as well.

With regards to Numbers of Hrs posted earler I have 210 so maybe the CPL written would be the better option!

Bob

Charlie Zulu
2nd Jun 2004, 17:55
Keef and I had the same examiner...

I believe he has had to pursuade more than the both of us to do the CPL checkrides... I caved in to the pressure and did the CPL checkride but glad I did.

Took me two evenings to study for the FAA CPL Written Exam... passed it on the second day with 90%... wish the JAR-FCL ATPLs were the same!!! ;)

Steep turns no problem, chandelles I picked up within five minutes or so. Eights on Pylons I bluffed my way through on the checkride although it had sort of sunk in what I was supposed to be doing... the same with Lazy Eights. ;)

You need 250 hours total time, including 1 *solo* cross country with landings at two airports other than the departure. One of the legs has to be at least 250 nm. There are other requirements such as 10 solo take offs and landings at night each with a flight in the circuit. But not too much of a hassle. Take a look at the FARs under Part 61 for the full description (I don't have the FARs to hand).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.