PDA

View Full Version : PPL Decision Time

mazzy1026
2nd Jun 2004, 08:48
Hi guys - I have come to a decision point and just wondered what you thought and whether you could offer any advice. My situation: coming to end of gap year, due to be back in university for the final year in September. I have approximately half the funds needed for the PPL.

Ok I have two options:

1) Bearing in mind I already have the study material needed, should I use what cash I have now, do all the exams before uni, then fly using monthly wages and whatever cash I have over a longer period of time. Or

2) Wait another year till next summer and save up the full amount, then do it in one go after I graduate?

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Maz

Helisell
2nd Jun 2004, 09:13
12 Views and no responses . . I'll try.

I believe that most people who go for a PPL do it because they have a burning desire to fly.

When this passion hit me I would do anything to even get one hour flying.

If you already have half the money for your PPL then go fly, and the means to do so will appear as if by magic!

Good luck

Microheavy
2nd Jun 2004, 09:23
I totally agree with Helisell.

I started in 1999 and still haven't got my PPL yet !

There will always be some problem to slow your progress wheter it be money, weather, work commitments, nagging wives or girlfriends and in your case uni studies.

Your options are much broader in the UK as to choice of schools so that shouldn't delay you but if you haven't flown yet, you must consider the fact that you might not like actually flying, not everyone does.

Procrastination is a deadly sin - Start now

peterfoele
2nd Jun 2004, 09:25
Hi,
I would agree with mazzy.
Flying is fun, so any reason to do so is good enough for me.

I would advise to get rid of the theory exams as soon as possible, thus giving you more time to study for the university.

It took me 2 years to complete my PPL, and getting the theory out of the way helped a lot (e.g. go flying when the weather is good, instead of nose in the books).

Don't know if you did so already, but take a trial lesson, this might aid you in your decision as well.

Good luck, and happy landings
Peter

AerBabe
2nd Jun 2004, 09:33
I got my PPL while studying for a PhD. I had little cash when I started - about enough for four lessons. But that was enough to make the decision to learn. You can keep putting it off, but you will always find something else to spend the money on. Do it now while you have few other expenses and a fairly flexible timetable. Once you graduate and find a job you'll notice that the weather at weekends, when you want to have a lesson and aren't working, is generally non-flyable.

To fund mine, I worked about 10 hours a week as a temp. Then, every other weekend, and sometimes mid-week, I would have a lesson. The rest of the money went on general living expenses. Budget hard or you'll find that an evening out with your mates can cost half an hour in flight time...

J.A.F.O.
2nd Jun 2004, 09:40
NOW

He who hesitates is lost, believe me I spent many years as one of the lost. As the above posts have said, once you start you'll find a way to fund it.

AC2
2nd Jun 2004, 09:46
Yes. Just do it.

Have faith...

mazzy1026
2nd Jun 2004, 09:53
Thank you people for your kind replies - I appreciate your good advice (must admit - thats kinda what I wanted to hear!).

With regards to liking the flying, well I think I caught the bug when I was about 7 yrs old. I joined the Air Cadets when I wasn't quite 13 and stayed in for 5 or so years. I've just turned 22 now and getting rather desperate to get off the ground. I have flown quite a bit with the cadets and with regards to a trial lesson - I took one at Ravenair in Liverpool. I was so attracted to what was on offer so that's where i'll be carrying on.

As soon as I get back from the hols I am gonna register for the exams - think there about a fiver a shot so that is'nt gonna drain the pennies.

Your right about the funds though, us humans do find ways of adapting to situation changes so hopefully I can too.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Lee :ok:

Evo
2nd Jun 2004, 10:13
I got my PPL while studying for a PhD.

Me too. It was a bit slow at times, but not too bad.

AerBabe
2nd Jun 2004, 10:26
Be gone, evil doctor, back to your dungeon. :}

Mazzy - why don't you go back to the cadets as an instructor? You won't get as much flying, but there will be some. Plus there are opportunities for cheap hire through Air Force clubs when you have your PPL. :ok:

mazzy1026
2nd Jun 2004, 11:58
AerBabe

Its great you mention that actually - I have my civillian instructor papers on my desk at home right now - will be filling them in tonight ! You did mean CI right?

Its interesting you mentioned getting discounts at certain flying clubs - what's this all about ? Any info you have on this would be gold-dust ! !

Cheers

Lee

AerBabe
2nd Jun 2004, 13:00
Well, what are you waiting for? It can take 3+ months for the CI papers to be cleared. Get on with it! And there's nothing stopping you going back into uniform if you so wish.

Ask the CO of your squadron - several RAF bases have light a/c for hire which you will be eligible to take out. They're generally available at a very good price. I think my local, to my Surrey squadron, would be Benson. I am pretty sure there is one at Brize Norton too.

craig1975
2nd Jun 2004, 13:01
I started my PPL a couple of years ago and got 43 hours so skill test when my instructor comes back from hols.

Started at Uni with no money, paid for flying as i went along and love every minute of it. It's more satisfying knowing you're doing it cos you love it and working hard for it.

Big piece of advice - DONT LET THE FLYING TAKE PRESIDENCE OVER THE GROUND SCHOOL - i learned that the hard way when some of them elaspsed to do time and had to resit.

Good luck

mazzy1026
2nd Jun 2004, 13:40
I am gonan try and compile a list of RAF bases that will let me do this. Woodvale would be a complete godsend but dont think they have such operations.

The papers will be submitted tonight !

Many thanks again

Lee.

J.A.F.O.
2nd Jun 2004, 15:14
Mazzy - instructor at a VGS (SLMG) might be a way to go. What about UAS?

I think the nearest RAFFCA (Royal Air Force Flying Club Association) Club to you may be Cosford.

Try This Link (http://www.procommercesolutions.co.uk/raffca/Contact/contact.htm)

Just a few ideas.

Okay, the above link doesn\'t work - type it in or send someone round to teach me how to use computers.

Re-Heat
2nd Jun 2004, 15:45
UAS requires another 5 months of university remaining and below a certain age limit on a first degree - both of which I believe mazzy has exceeded already. I don't have the age limit to hand unfortunately.

RAF limit is 23 1/2 for pilot entry to RAFC Cranwell - get your skates on if you are interested.

mazzy1026
2nd Jun 2004, 17:49
JAFO

Bloody great thanks ! :ok:

With regards to UAS I think you need a degree from Oxford or something like that - A bit out my reach I think - but I will definately give Cosford a ring and get some details. Looks great as they charge (according to the website) around £60 per hour (lesson) which is about half that of private flying.

Cheers

Lee

Edit: Direct entry to RAF would be out the question I am afraid. Wasnt successful with RAF flying scholarship due to eyesight. Presuming I could still get membership and fly at Cosford ?

garethep
2nd Jun 2004, 18:29
Lee,

Sorry to hear about your eyesight problems. I too failed Raf selection for similar reasons (colour Blindness) and was told by the RAF doctor who obviously couldnt even be bothered to get his facts right that I could never get a PPL. Well a few years later I am lucky enough to have a job that allows me to fly just for the fun of it and I am half way towards my PPL which is restricted only in that I cant fly at night (and who wants to do that in a single engined aircraft anyway).

Go for it, best of luck and dont believe everything your told by someone in a light blue uniform.

Gareth