PDA

View Full Version : Weybourne info?

enevill
1st Jun 2004, 15:29
Hi,

Does anyone have any info on Weybourne airstrip.

Like runway lengths, direction, slope etc etc.

And contact details for PPR?

It is not in the AIP, or Pooleys,

Thx in advance,
Ed.

FNG
1st Jun 2004, 16:35
Weybourne is an exhilarating little strip, and worth a visit. I cannot recall precisely how long it is, but it is neither very long nor critically short* (depending, of course, on what you are flying, but I went there in a Beagle Pup 150, which is not a mega-STOL aircraft). The strip may appear shorter than it is, for reasons which may appear below.

The strip is roughly north-south in orientation (the prevailing winds along the coast are westerly or easterly , but even then you may get sea or land breezes at various times of the day according to weather). The strip is a little undulating, and has a slight upslope (ski jump?) towards the northern end. The field is used by RC model flyers, so a preliminary circuit may be needed to signal to them that they should land their machines.

The northerly runway launches off over the cliffs (low cliffs, but this is Norfolk), and the view of open sea at the end of the runway adds to the impression of shortness. On approach for that same runway, the grassy knoll in the undershoot may affect your perception of the approach, but it is unlikely that any conspirators will shoot you from it. Arriving there for the first time, I over-braked somewhat, because of the foreshortening effect described above. If your engine fails after take off to the north, you are getting wet. Some trees if departing to the south.

Book in and leave a modest fee in the caravan. There is a tank museum just adjacent to the strip, but I did not vist that. PM for details of some more interesting strips in that area.

NB the TRA a little to the east of Weybourne.

Have fun.

PS: I will check contact details when at home.

* having said that, it's more short than long!

vintage ATCO
1st Jun 2004, 17:00
The museum is The Muckleburgh Collection and there use to be something on their site http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/ about the airfield but it doesn't appear so now. Doing a Google on Weybourne Airfield brings up historical data.

The museum is well worth a visit by the way.

VA

Pronto
2nd Jun 2004, 11:17
I have a feeling that there may be something in Lockyer's Farm Strip Guide.

Transair stock it.

P

Spiney Norman
2nd Jun 2004, 11:56
According to AFE. U.K. VFR Flight Guide..... 16/34 Grass 617x32m. 03/21 Grass 380x32m. Rwy 21 Slight upslope. Rwy 16 Slight Upslope. PPR not required but book-in essential. Book in at the Caravan which is on the E side of the strip. Landing Fee suggested £5 donation if not going to the museum. Rwy surface may suffer from rabbit scrapes. Low gorse hills to the S of the strip. Avoid overflight of Weybourne, Kelling and the RAF site which is between the 16 & 21 thresholds. Tel:01263 588210/588425. (There is a footpath from the strip to the museum. Very nice strip when I visited. The coastal breeze regularly seems to make 34 the runway in use whatever the wind elsewhere. Well worth a visit.

Spiney:ok: