PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Rating & ATPL Ground??

DesiPilot
30th Jul 2000, 22:10
Here is a question for fellow instructors and examiners out there. I want to do my CAA/JAA instructors rating, currently I hold FAA instructors rating. I was told that you need CAA/JAA CPL and all the ATPL ground subjects passed for your instructors rating. Now all I want is an instructors rating and have no intentions of getting my JAA ATPL (since IR & MCC are required and I cant afford about 12,000 quids for that).
I will be taking my CAA restricted CPL exams in November. Assuming that I pass my CPL exams and take a CPL skill test in UK, can I go ahead and do my instructors course? Do I still need to pass the ATPL theory subjects?
Whats the provision for people who wants a career out of instruction, why should we pass the ATPL exams?
Some please help............... :)

------------------
My mascot is a bumblebee. Because of its tiny wings and heavy body, aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. But the bumblebee doesn't know that, so it flies anyway.

BAK
31st Jul 2000, 00:59
I am not an Instructor, but have been looking at doing this so the information below is correct at this time.
All you have to do is pass the CPL groundschool exams to be able to continue with the Instructors Rating. At present this will give you a restricted Instructors Rating which enables you to teach on UK registered aircraft only.

Oh OK
31st Jul 2000, 14:43
and if you want to be actually paid for the work - you'll need to hold a professional licence too - so the commercial GFTs required after min 15 hours dual training - reckon on total cost about £4000, good luck. - oh and then the type test too (another £400 or so all in)

CaptainAirProx
31st Jul 2000, 16:35
Desipilot....

Do you have a FAA IR? If not you will have to do the IMC rating before becoming an instructor. This can be done seperately (15hrs) or as part of the Commercial GFT (25hrs). If you do have an American IR this can be converted into an IMC rating (I believe).

DesiPilot
31st Jul 2000, 18:15
Yes I do have my FAA IR, actually I have my CFI, CFII and MEI too. I have no intention of working in UK. The only reason I want to do this is that under new JAA approvals, one of the instructors in any FTO (in USA) have to have CAA instructors rating. So my school wants me to do the instructors rating and come back here in US to satisfy that requirement. Also in future I would like to go for the examiners rating but thats just a thought.
Thanks for the advice guys. Now my understanding is that restriction on your CPL is untill you get 700 hrs tt. I already have 2200 hrs, would they issue me a restricted CPL or full CPL?