PDA

View Full Version : Pocklington, North Yorks

Lowtimer
30th May 2004, 08:25
Does anyone have any experience of flying into Pocklington? It would be very handy for a meeting I am going to on Monday week, as the person I'm visiting lives just off the airfield boundary. Alternative would be to carry on up to Bagby but then cars have to start entering the mix...

I can find the gliding club web site and will give them a ring, but would be interested if anyone has experience to pass on, or any other contact numbers e.g. any GA operators on site.

thanks for any info.

Flock1
30th May 2004, 11:10
What about Full Sutton?

It's only about 5 miles NW of Pocklington.

Having said that, I think that the same person - a Mr Pocklington no less - owns both. Could be wrong about that though

MikeeB
30th May 2004, 18:08
As above, if you can't get into Poc, then go for Full Sutton. It's five minutes drive away.

Rod1
31st May 2004, 18:25
Pocklington will probably let you in, give them a call. The hard runway is very rough with lots of potholes and stones. I have not flown in for many years, but the club operates tug aircraft and did accept glider aware visitors.

Rod1

Lowtimer
1st Jun 2004, 17:35
Thanks for that advice on the state of the runway. Full Sutton looks more tempting now... :)

FNG
1st Jun 2004, 17:38
Hey, I thought that Yak undercarriages were made of girders?

Op checked Satis
1st Jun 2004, 20:06
Full Sutton would be you're best bet but don"t overfly the prison,You get your photo taken & a hefty fine if you do.

Flock1
2nd Jun 2004, 11:06
Just a word of warning about Full Sutton - if you do decide to go there, don't expect anyone to be manning the radio upon your arrival. If an instructor is there, then he will talk to you, but if he's up in the air/in the toilet/outside, then you'll just get nothing.

Having said that, it's a quiet airfield, and as long as you're listening out on the frequency, it will be fine.

As for the prison, I think it's a wonderful landmark for spotting Full Sutton from the air. It's octagaonal in shape, and the grass runway is just near it. Keep the prison between you and the runway on your downwind leg (depending on runway in use of course.)

Have fun!

Lurcher Man
2nd Jun 2004, 12:01
Pocklington is fine!! Long Grass Runways and glider pilots hospitable to visitors who observe the rules. I think it is PPR but I would ring for a briefing out of courtesy. Wires!They also have fuel.
I saw a P-51 Mustang there not so long ago.
Full Sutton is also good but they are not owned by the same guy.
If your worried about runway length try Elvington!

YYZ
2nd Jun 2004, 15:18
I too would go for Full Sutton, they have just employed a new CFI & instructor & seem very busy (compared to last year not Gatwick!), The runway is well maintained & the landings cheap.
They are in the process of building their 3rd hanger so there will be room for more parking in the not so distant future.

Also the radio is manned more often now, as it is getting a bit busier.

Wherever you decide, enjoy...

Ps
Big bonus, The CFI may make you a cup of tea!!
;)

Lowtimer
3rd Jun 2004, 16:54
Thank you all for those helpful comments and observations.

FNG, The Yak undercarriage may be made of girders but the prop blades aren't, and our prop blades are brand new and precious. Rough gravelly runways therefore make me a little uneasy.
Of course, when I win the lottery and buy a tailwheel Yak, all this will change... ;)