PDA

View Full Version : 127 flights broke a security rule and forced to divert from KDCA

SaturnV
28th May 2004, 18:03
Either a passenger has stood up during the flight or the pilots forgot to transmit a security code. I must say that a $182,000 cost for a diversion seems a bit high. Excerpted and edited from an article in today's Washington Post.

127 commercial airline flights headed to Washington's Reagan National Airport have been diverted for security violations since 2001, mostly because pilots failed to send a secret code to air traffic controllers before landing, the Transportation Security Administration said yesterday.

Twenty flights headed to National were diverted because a passenger stood up during the last 30 minutes, a violation of a security rule put in place at the airport after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

An additional 107 flights were turned away because pilots did not follow proper procedures, the TSA said. None of the incidents involved a serious security threat. Government procedures require that if either rule is broken the planes must land immediately at nearby Dulles International Airport.

Two flights have diverted to Dulles so far this month for violating the 30-minute rule, and two others were diverted in April, the FAA said. Five flights were diverted in 2003, 10 in 2002 and one in 2001. Airlines at National that have violated the rules include Air Wisconsin Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Air Lines, Midwest Express, Northwest Airlines, United Airlines and US Airways Express, the FAA said.

Some passengers said they have seen other passengers violate the 30-minute rule without the plane being diverted, because flight attendants or passengers told the passenger to sit down.

Gary Boettcher, an American Airlines pilot who regularly flies out of National, said the airport is the only one that requires a unique code that must be communicated to air traffic controllers before landing. The procedure may throw off some pilots unaccustomed to it, he said. "Pilots do things out of standardization. We do certain things at certain times," Boettcher said. "Sometimes guys forget -- particularly if they don't fly out of National" regularly, he said.

Some lawmakers, pilots and airlines criticize the 30-minute rule as costly and inconvenient for airlines and passengers who wind up at Dulles instead of National. Airlines say it costs $29,000 to $182,000, depending on the size of the aircraft, each time a flight is diverted. Costs include refueling the plane, busing passengers to National and sometimes changing flight crews.

"The 30-minute rule is out of date," said Rep. John L. Mica (R-Fla.). He said it was imposed as a condition for reopening National after the terrorist attacks. "Most of the flights coming out of National have air marshals on them. We tend to do things in a reactive mode and nobody bothers to remove it."

The TSA defended its rules for National, saying they add layers of security to the aviation system and for the Washington area.

soddim
28th May 2004, 18:06
Perhaps the information contained in this post is of more interest to terrorists than ppruners?

I hope not.

hobie
28th May 2004, 18:20
so if you need to go to the "Loo" in the last 30 minutes of the flight what do you do? .....

just asking ..... :{

SaturnV
28th May 2004, 18:50
loo trips are not allowed.

I've seen no count of the number of 'accidents', or the cost of cleaning up after them. On flights in eiother direction between Washington National and LaGuardia airports, passengers are not allowed out of their seat for the entire flight, the flying time typically being between 45 and 60 minutes depending on traffic and weather. Airlines such as the Delta Shuttle and the USAir Shuttle regularly broadcast announcements in the boarding area about going to the bathroom before boarding the aircraft.

Nineiron
28th May 2004, 19:54
A rather flexible lady of my aquaintance informs me that all things are possible with a sick bag and a rudimentary knowledge of origami.

Semaphore Sam
28th May 2004, 21:48
We Americans have become crybabys. OK, 9/11 happened, so a pee trip requires a diversion? So many other countries have had their terrorists; the UK for 35 years, for Pete's sake! Many thousands have died, or been injured; Fellow Yanks, please, GIVE IT A REST! We are now the Ultimate Prima Donnas; the rest of the world won't say it, but, our utter wallowing in 9/11 swill is becoming even worse than the Diana-Whine. Until we get back to normal, and quit justifying outrageous policies (silly diversions, and dillitante torture of prisoners, etc), our sickness will feed on itself. People, WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT! Sam

mini
28th May 2004, 21:57
From a security prof. perspective...

Utter and completely ridiculus... Where next?

Arkroyal
28th May 2004, 22:20
Semaphore

You are right on. Had to come from an american to have any impact.

America can never win using its present tactics. Time for a re-think

soddim
28th May 2004, 22:32
And the re-think should focus on smart tactics. The full frontal gung-ho assault on terrorism is bound to fail because they just don't fight that way. All the US has done is to bring out into the conflict a bunch of malcontents and religious fundamentalists who would probably have stayed peaceful all their lives had they not had the call to battle. Meanwhile the crafty terrorist b**t***s continue their scheming and look for the softest target to perpetrate their next outrageous cowardly act.

Smart tactics focus on intelligence and detection not tanks and gunships.

Piss**g off the travelling public is not the way to go.

hobie
29th May 2004, 08:08
give them a problem and someone in the Aviation World will come up with a solution .... just found this ...... a 3 pack costs less than 6.00 dollars ..... Uni-sex so all the family can use them ..... all you have to do is ask the young lady sitting beside you or the kids across from you, to look away and relieve is at hand !!!! ....

http://www.pilotmall.com/page/1/PROD/Safety/888/SESSION_ID/25c94b12dde5127c55e7cd237a7e5bfb

BEagle ..... I'm expecting you to say "I love it!!!!" ..... :rolleyes:

Codman
29th May 2004, 11:40
I hope that whilst your passengers are breaking that 30min rule waiting for the loo that they're not congregating in groups more than 3!

Well those of you in the 'colonies', as a rather arsey member of our royal family recently put it, know what to do!

Come Novemeber vote Texas Tom and his oil guzzling mates back to oblivion. Sure they'll carry on getting rich but they'll have a hard time getting other people dead whilst they do it. Make you a deal, you chaps dump Bush and we promise to send Reverand Blair off to that job at the EU he so richly deserves.

PaperTiger
1st Jun 2004, 18:34
hobie, did you click on the 'see video demonstration' link ?

My computer is in a public area, so I'm afraid to :O

hobie
1st Jun 2004, 18:49
Tiger .... go ahead and have a look ..... there's a couple of gals and a guy discussing the product on a T.V. news programme

they fill them up with drinking water and end up throwing them around the studio ..... (probably what will happen to the real thing when they start to use them on board ) :(

cheers .....