PDA

View Full Version : Bose headsets

Wrong Stuff
28th May 2004, 15:11
My other half is having trouble finding a headset she can wear comfortably for a couple of hours at a time. She's persevered with my old DC passive attenuation headset, a newer Avcomm set and my newer pair of DC ANRs, but finds the high clamping force always gets painful in the end.

I was thinking of splashing out and buying a pair of the Bose. Before I do, though, I'd like to check they solve the problem - or at least seem comfortable in the shop - but neither Transair or Pooleys stock them.

Does anyone know of a pilot supplies shop which stocks these so you can try them on before you buy?

Rod1
28th May 2004, 15:23
HM will allow you to send it back if you are not happy. The clamp force is very low.

Rod1

dublinpilot
28th May 2004, 16:11
WS,

You might also get her to try on the DC 20-10's as well. I find the clamping force to be very low as well...infact maybe a little too low. The gel ear seals are very comfortable too.

dp

flyingfemme
28th May 2004, 16:11
The Bose Xs come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

I used a pair for a week, 8-10 hours a day, and they are great.

vanhigher
28th May 2004, 18:05
why don't you ask Bose-x if he can recommend them ? :D

drauk
28th May 2004, 20:08
I originally had a pair of DCs but found them uncomfortable (clamping force wise) after about 45 minutes. I sprung for a new pair, can't remember the model number but the ones with adjustable clamping force. Added a thirdparty ANR kit. They were marginally more comfortable, but not much. After a ten day several hours a day trip across the US and back under a pair of Bose-X I decided to spring for them. I think Bose-X stuff is hugely over priced (they have great marketing) and the quality of their music systems is low, but this is by far the best headset I've ever tried. It is super-comfortable, works well with my spectacles and the ANR works very well. If you can afford them I wouldn't worry about trying them out - you will like them.

IO540
28th May 2004, 20:47
I've been using Bose-x for 4 years, now have four of them, and they are excellent. I have worn them for up to 5 hours at a time (8 hours with a short break) without any problems - could never do that with the top-end David Clarkes then costing £500.

Bose-x are overpriced and not rugged enough for a "club" environment, but for owners they are the best and have the lowest earcup pressure.

I have converted all mine to the aircraft powered versions - possibly only if the aircraft can be thus modified. The mod is actually very simple (just drilling a hole and fitting the aircraft-powered socket) but some may not like it.

Wrong Stuff
30th May 2004, 10:35
Many thanks for the recommendations. I'll give Harry Mendelssohn a call next week.