PDA

View Full Version : Alitalia's strike

FreighterJock
17th Oct 2001, 21:14
Italy's flag carrier employees have announced a strike next friday. :rolleyes: As usual they share the same cockoo rotten dreamworld with Sabena....This company looks like the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg,with the orchestra still playing,and the people on board not realizing what's going on!!!! Jeasus Christ ,Will ever be an end to all of This? Alitalia has always been a **** up just like sabena and i find insulting when the management and the Unions demand neverending government (read taxpayers) CASHFLOW ,taking advantage of the unforgettable 11 Sept. as an Excuse. I believe all the EU companies should appeal against any State Aid Fundings (That's What it is :mad: ). Today we live in a SWIM or SINK Kinda Philosophy.Private Companies like Citybird 5 (just to name one) have recently gone belly up and no governments have given a damn about it, but when it comes down to the socalled National companies They DO CARES even if those Airlines have been Cabriolet Checks for decades. :mad:

Hand Solo
18th Oct 2001, 01:10
To be fair you can't blame the guys. If I worked for Sabena or Alitalia I'd be claiming as much cash as I possibly could, secure in the knowledge that my employer will never go bust because state subsidies will be found one way or another. Lets face it, if you were given a blank cheque made out to you would you not write it for the largest sum you thought you could get away with? Competition and company profitability have never been issues within these companies, so why should you exepct different behaviour now? Its just human nature.

Slickster
18th Oct 2001, 03:09
Hand,
I agree with you in part, but really, anyone who works for an airline at the moment and kicks off about having a strike is a complete muppet. Maybe it's not their fault entirely, but perhaps they could look around themselves and at least try to understand market forces- other companies have to in Italy. These people obviously are a bit like the Taliban and live in the dark ages!

jfe117
18th Oct 2001, 05:15
Is it next Friday? or the following Monday (29th)? Need to know!!!! Booked from MXP to MIA Monday. :(
B****r! Just realised I'm arriving Friday am. So I could be screwed at both ends!!!!(ooh matron!!)

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: jfe117 ]

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: jfe117 ]

Stellina
18th Oct 2001, 12:43
:eek: That's the AZ way of dealing with things...
But really can't blame their staff.
They get an awful treatment(unless they are on one of those Scream.old -billionaire contracts).so see what happens and I wish them luck

SOPS
18th Oct 2001, 21:09
I think that these people are living (like I said in another post re Sabena) in total looney city, However I do not work for thier company, so if that is what they think is best, well let them go ahead. Buy I think they may be living in space.

RVR800
19th Oct 2001, 17:33
That's Europe for you - a job for life

But who pays?

.. remaining in the 'Stirling zone' seems
a good option

maybepilot
19th Oct 2001, 19:17
According to ANPAC (the main AZ union) the strike is due to the pilots' disagreement with the managment and they are demanding a new management to be put in place of the current one.

The Red Sock
20th Oct 2001, 12:41
As usual....

A new management is trying to solve the financial problems and the pilots (ANPAc) disagrees. They are on the same road like SR was, like SN is, and like OS is likely to turn on.

mrshubigbus
20th Oct 2001, 14:14
These guys just don't know when to quit do they! The real world has moved on. The cosy little existance of all the majors in Europe is now coming to a rapid end! The pioneering/glamour days are over. Today it is the turn of the low cost airines to show the majors how it should be done and like it or not I would rather get on a low cost 737 at a realistic price than pay for all those luxuries that I don't need on a national carrier. And of course that extra cost goes to paying those constantly whinging overpaid pilots working at Swissair, Sabena, Alitalia not to mention one closer to home!!! It's over! These companies cannot keep getting payments from governments if the operations are not sustainable. It cannot go on forever. As for BA hanging onto slots at LGW and LHR, many groundstaff will lose their jobs. If the Low cost airlines were allowed to use them then many of these jobs would not be lost! Say no more!!!