PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to Fly into RAF Sealand?

S-Works
27th May 2004, 06:47
I have regular business meetings in Deeside about 200m away from Sealand. In fact I can see the runway from the office window.

At the moment I fly into Harwarden 2/3 times a week and would like to try and into Sealand instead as it would save me some taxi time and effort.

Has anyone done this or has any information on who to contact? I cant find anything in any of my flight guides.

bcfc
27th May 2004, 09:02
Better get in quick as its about to close :( ... well, in 2006.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/3652877.stm)

theundisputedtopgun
27th May 2004, 09:03
At the weekend there is a volunteer gliding school operating (631?) and if they are like my school they sometimes will be operating during the week as well. I think that they are a viking school so there will be winching. Just a warning

Having never been to sealand before i don't know who you should contact. maybe phone the main base number and see if anyone can help.

spekesoftly
27th May 2004, 11:43
Phone number for RAF Sealand: 01244 288331 - at the week-end they may be able to put you through to OC 631 VGS.

Next time you visit Hawarden, the ATC guys may be able to advise you about Sealand.

Frankly, I would think it unlikely that you will get permission, especially during the week, but worth a 'phone call or two.

Arclite01
27th May 2004, 12:17
I flew with the Gliding School at Sealand a few years ago.

Some info and personal opinions for you:

1. The surface is a rough as a bears a**e in a lot of places. unless you have a cub or similar I would not recommend it. I have a Cub and I would not go in there............

2. The approaches are all poor from a power perspective. Either over built up areas or across power wires or trees (or rivers and trees . The gliders do Ok due to the airbrake type approaches.

3. If you needed to go around you probably would not make it nor glide clear if you had an engine failure. There is no undershoot or overshoot/overrun area

4. When I was there it was 'marginal' in some wind directions and power movements were limited to rotary wing government/Mil aircraft only.

5. The airpace is very crowded - Hawarden, Manchester and Liverpool regularly infringe the space (in a nice way) quite often.

6. The site is secure - having got out there is no guarantee that you could get back in easily to get to your A/C !!

7. There are no facilities and no fuel or fire cover. In summary it's rough, dangerous and hostile from a power perspective - On the whole I think Hawarden is a much better bet - regardless of the Cab fares. The current airfield is not RAF Sealand - that concrete runway disappeared under the industrial estate in the 1960's. This RAF Sealand was the field they used to store packing cases for aircraft on during 39 - 45 !! - so the choice is yours !!!

cheers

Arc:D

spekesoftly
27th May 2004, 13:13
Arc,

Very interested to read your description - I also flew with 631 VGS at Sealand, but back in the early 60s, so I didn't care to comment on its suitability - but it sounds as though little has changed in the intervening years!!

Mind you, I do remember getting 'wave lift' from the Welsh hills, augmented by rising heat and fumes from the nearby John Summers steel works - ah the smell!!

Arclite01
27th May 2004, 13:22
I think the only thing that has changed is that the field has got smaller since the 60's - the RAF have built more accommodation on 1 side of the airfield and this infringes one of the landing runs even more.

I think most of my comments are accurate !!!

Arc

Stedders
27th May 2004, 18:39
I fly with 631 VGS at RAF Sealand now and would have to disagree with some of the comments above. Yes the field is not the smoothest, but it has been rolled recently and so is slightly improved. I would not say it was a lot worse than Barton (which I also fly from).

We do have a resident powered aircraft living in our hangar who manages to get in and out and length wise it is no problem. With appropriate short field t/o and landings the jarring due to the bumps should be kept to a minimum!

Bose-X, if you'd like to PM me I can give you any more information you need and a contact to obtain permission for the landing. I'm sure you could also arrange temporary hangarage.

Arclite, would be interested to know who you are - PM Me!

Cheers,

Stedders