PDA

View Full Version : High Wycombe Insturctor/pilots-a question??

Evil J
26th May 2004, 16:50
Flew from Nottingham down to Fairoaks the other day with a friend of mine and we noticed that on my up to date Southern area half mil chart, the very big very distinct mast soth west-ish of Princess Risborough isn't marked-yet on my friend's "out of date" map it is marked. Is there a reason that this mast, which is an excellent feature has been removed or is it a mistake? Has anyone told the CAA?

FNG
26th May 2004, 16:56
You are referring, my dear Watson, to the strange case of the Mast that was not lit up in the night. There have been two previous threads on this and much ribaldry on the subject. It's been NOTAMed and there is a chart amendment on the website.

[Edit unedited owing to sense of direction faff induced by upside downy Chipmunking]

Brooklands
26th May 2004, 17:01
Evil,

Yes the CAA have been told - several times, and are suitably embarrased.

There was a discussion at the time the chart came out in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127080&highlight=stokenchurch+mast). Thre's a NOTAM to tell you its really still there, and its also on the CAA chart amendments page (http://www.caa.co.uk/dap/dapcharts/amendmentlist.asp?chart=11)

Argghh FNG has just beaten me to it.

Brooklands

Evil J
26th May 2004, 18:05
Doesn't say much for the AIS website then as I did check the NOTAMs for the entire route and there was no mention.

I suspected that there may have been a thread about it but this forum mioves so fast I couldn't be a@*ed going back through the archives!

Thanks for the answer anyway.

AerBabe
26th May 2004, 18:08
Do you think the CAA say that charts need changing so often in the UK that they can't be a@*ed either? ;)

rustle
26th May 2004, 19:02
Just did an AIS Website look - to be sure - and there it is, 2nd last entry... (Copied below for your reference):

PRE-FLIGHT NARROW U N I T E D K I N G D O M
INFORMATION ROUTE AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION SERVICE (NATS)
BULLETIN R2601079 04/05/26 18:59 UTC
UK AIS Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8745 3464. WEB SITE: WWW.AIS.ORG.UK

PERIOD: 04/05/26 18:59 UTC TO 04/05/28 18:59 UTC

PIB INCLUDES NOTAM/SNOWTAM/BIRDTAM

FLIGHT NUMBER: 12345 ADEP: EGBN ADES: EGTF
TRAFFIC: VFR PURPOSE: GENERAL AND MISCELLANEOUS
HEIGHT: +/-4000FT WIDTH: +/-10NM SUBJECT:

ALTN:
FIR : EGTT
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F040 DCT

OTH : FROM 04/05/13 12:35 TO PERM B0805/04
E)AIR NAVIGATION OBSTACLE.
STOKENCHURCH (REF NUMBER 230C802) SINGLE RTM, POSITION 513954N
0005527W, HGT 1184FT AMSL 393FT AGL, NOT LIT
UK AIP ENR 5-4-1-8 REFERS.

Been there since mid-April (the NOTAM, not the mast :rolleyes: )

THE RUSTLER

FNG
26th May 2004, 20:37
Did the poor lonely mast ever get a reply to that nice postcard you sent on its behalf, rustle?

(worth putting up here for those that didn't see it first time around)

rustle
26th May 2004, 20:47
Did the poor lonely mast ever get a reply to that nice postcard you sent on its behalf, rustle?

FNG, rest assured than "Mike Cross" is not a nom de plume I use...
Mike posted the postcard -- not I

THE RUSTLER

FNG
26th May 2004, 20:56
oops, sorry, rustle, or should I call you ... [censored to protect the guilty]?

Boing_737
26th May 2004, 21:12
Would it be flippant of me to state that it's firkin difficult to miss Stockenchurch mast - its not exactly like that flimsy creation at Kingsclere is it?:D

(DUCKS FOR COVER, PUTS ENCYCLOPAEDIA DOWN TROUSERS, AND PREPARES FIRE EXTINGUISHER)

Evil J
26th May 2004, 22:41
I did a double check and it is in the NOTAMs, NOTAM PRO even highlighted it to me, but it says that it is unlit, not that it isn't marked on the chart-which, given that the flight was during the day, was why I pressumeably didn't register it. So humble apologies to AIS...(and in fairness it didn't cause a problem at all...just seemed strange)

And no we didn't miss it (so to speak!!) it just seemed strange that such a good and prominent feature be ommitted from the chart-I think it was bloody sharp of me to notice it wasn't there at all actually!!

Anyway I suspect we are in danger of repeating previous threads so I shall take my humble pie and go sit in the corner!!

FNG
28th May 2004, 06:27
No harm in reminding people, Evil J.