PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Corsica

Fujiflyer
24th May 2004, 11:12
I’m going to be in Corsica later in the Summer (flying down by light a/c). I am hoping that once there we will do a bit of touring around the island as there seems to be quite a few small airfields as well as some larger ones in class D airspace.

Does anyone have any experience / advice for flying in Corsica? I was intending to land and park at Figari as its near to where we will be staying, although Solenzara on the East coast is an alternative option (looks smaller & cheaper).

FujiF

Southern Cross
24th May 2004, 13:55
Flew a C310A into Calvi a few years ago. Nice place - interesting hold just over the coast. Caution large moutains nearby! As I recall needed to report and a couple of specific points midway between the French coast and Corsica even though we were VFR - the GPS was handy at that point (actually GPS is always handy...)

Got the full treatment from Customs. Wanted to inspect all aircraft docs, logs, my licences, my logbook (! - which I didn't have), full inspection of luggage and cockpit, I drew the line when they whipped out the rubber gloves...

No doubt you will enjoy the place. Don;t know much about the other airports however.

Bluebeard777
24th May 2004, 14:27
We were in Calvi last week, beautiful setting, right base over the castle & harbour for the southerly runway. Coasted out from France over St Tropez, then follow your GPS reporting points OMARD etc. Thence departed overhead Bastia for Marina di Campo (Elba). Calvi is said to be nicer than Bastia, this seems to be so.