PDA

View Full Version : Importing aircraft into the UK

SHARPPOINT
22nd May 2004, 20:42
Hello all,

I am hoping that one of you gents/ladies may have some information on importing foriegn and registering aircraft in the UK.

It is quite apparent the SEL light aircraft are considerably more cheaper in the US than UK. A friend of mine is considering doing this very thing, and I am hoping that someone may have gone down this road and can provide the procesess to go through with a view to looking at the cost in terms of wether it is financially worthwhile in the long term.

Any direct help/threads/web-sites which may help would be deeply appreciated.

regards

spittingimage
26th May 2004, 10:14
Been there; done that. Never again (she won't let me !). I found that the costs just kept mounting up. I imported a 4 seat single some 12 years ago. Cost me about $30K on the ramp in the USA but after all the bills had been added up it came to at least $48K. I just got too depressed to add it all up accurately.

In simplified terms, dashing to and around the USA, sitting in hotels, car hire, etc., cost about $2,000. Getting it onto the British Register cost about $9,000 (and there was precious little wrong with it). Ferry costs came to about $5,000. Took about 3 months from beginning to end and I have since learned that was quite quick. Others have not been so fortunate.

Recommend you stick to (unmodified) types already here in the UK. Make sure that all ADs have been covered. Make sure that all logbooks are immaculate and complete. Check the installed avionics are all approved by the CAA (or they will be condemned and have to be replaced). Be ready for nasty surprises.

Hopefully, someone can give you more up to date figures, but for me it was a definite one-off.

Best of luck.

Orange Arm Waver
26th May 2004, 10:52
Make sure the insurance for shipping is comprhensive. Did hear of someone who crated one in on a ship and on unloading from hold and dock the container got dinged and some damage done to the contents. The insurance refused to pay out as it was 1) not on board the ship and 2) not on the dock/ transport!

Flyboy-F33
26th May 2004, 11:18
Spittingimage could have saved $9000 by keeping it on the US register. Personally If I were going to put an import onto the UK register I dont think the math stacks up.

GG

flyingfemme
26th May 2004, 14:30
Only worth doing for something moderately expensive (at least $50/60,000) because the transport and tech costs are far too big a percentage of the total to justify the exercise on something cheaper.

Flyin'Dutch'
26th May 2004, 15:15
Unless you get 3 Cubs and stick them into a container.

FD