PDA

View Full Version : The Koliber 160a

scubawasp
20th May 2004, 13:40
Has anyone had experience of the PZL Koliber 160a or anyother of the PZLs range?

Please see the link if you don't know what a/c I am on about

http://www.eads.net/frame/lang/en/xml/content/OF00000000400004/6/25/555256.html

KCDW
20th May 2004, 16:41
Had experience of a Koliber 150, so presume they fly similarly.

I believe they are a Polish rebrand of the Rallaye. No doubt someone wiser will correct me :)

Impressions:

1. The 150 is a tad underpowered. Climb out on a hot day, with 2 adults and 2 kiddies was pedestrian. The 160 may be better.

2. This was my first ever experience of taxying with a fully castoring nosewheel, and it made me look as if it was my first lesson, and I was having a very bad day! You get used to it after an hour or 2.

3. Flies (and floats) pretty much like a Warrior. No particular vices.

4. Great view. Big glass canopy. You can pull it back 4 inches in summer which is refreshing.

5. Has a control stick rather than a column. Again, easy to get used to if you are not accustomed to them.

See piccy below with KCDW brat the elder.

http://www.geocities.com/dalkapur/Flying/D-EIVG.JPG

6. I've just remembered something else important. They have these rather nifty automatic slats on the forward edge of the wing, which open up as you get closer to stalling speed, thus reducing chance of an unintentional stall.

M14P
20th May 2004, 17:08
Yes

I have considerable experience of both the Koliber 160A and the Wilga 2000.

Ask away! (or email if you prefer)

Flyin'Dutch'
20th May 2004, 17:22
Kolibear has one.

No doubt he will answer all your questions when he sees this thread, alternatively drop him a PM.

Ciao

FD

Monocock
20th May 2004, 18:43
Although I do not profess to be an expert in this type I am an admirer of it.

It appears to me to be a vastly under-rated gentlemans carriage with exceptional field performance.

If I was going to buy new, I'd seriously consider it over the 172 / PA28 brigade without a doubt. (Especially that 235 hp one:ok: )

TonyR
20th May 2004, 19:45
have flown the 160 and it is a fine aircraft, just like the Rallye
Have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129643&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) at the tin parachute thread

Kolibear
21st May 2004, 11:24
Hi scubawasp,

I'm a part share-holder in a Koliber based at North Weald & we think its a great little aircraft.

You'll never break any speed records in a Koliber, but if you are looking for a tourer, then its hard to beat it. It will lift 3 adults with full tanks, cruise at 100kt IAS for at least 4 hours. It has very good STOL and low-speed characteristic, automatic leading edge slats mean that stalling is almost impossible. I have had her flaps down with the throttle and stick fuly back and all that happens is that she sinks down wing level.

The view out is superb, the canopy rail is level with your elbow and the windsreen is very deep at the sides, so you get a good view of the runway. A trailing link undercarriage flatters your landings too,

The downside is that the nosewheel is not steerable, so taxiing takes a bit of practise, her handling on wet grass is best left to the imagination. Often, its easier to get out & manouver her into a parking slot by hand.

Its also got a stick rather than a yoke, and that is so much easier to fly with.

If you are coming to Aerofair, come and inspect one on the PZL stand.

M14P is very knowledgeable about Kolibers.

The Koliber 160a was reviewed in Todays Pilot about this time last year, (its our group aircraft actually)

PM me is you want to know anything more.

K

scubawasp
22nd May 2004, 11:08
What I would really like to know, is how many of you think that it would be a good training a/c, and those who have'nt flown in one, who would have been tempted to train on one, instead of the usual types????

M14P
22nd May 2004, 19:57
Personally, I think that it is a very good training aircraft since the Koliber benifits greatly by being flown 'properly'. Despite being a very forgiving aircraft to fly sloppiness is immediately apparent. Also, as an instructor, I feel able to fly some very nice demos since I can usually slow everything down to make it very easy to follow.

I like the way one can hold the nosewheel off the runway, also real feel is available in the low speed regime. One must 'use your feet' to keep the ball in the middle - but also there is no shortage of controlability.

Stalling at forward CG generally results in no G break but then again, that is the case in the Warrior (et al). As a matter of fact The plus side of that is that students might be encouraged to spend some 'quality time' getting to know and love the stall/low speed/hi alpha regime.

Trimming is essential and easy to teach as well - makes a change!

Good view out - essential for training.

Four seats - handy for observing lessons (a most valuable but underused opporunity when learning)

It's tough, too. Good for thumping into the runway yet living to fight another day.

Any more info required? Hope this helps...

TonyR
22nd May 2004, 22:03
I had another good look at the Koliber at North Weald today,

I think they are the best value for money aircraft around.

Students will learn to fly 'properly', it is easy to fly but also easy to mess up.

If I had a few extra shillings, my old Rallye would go and a new Koliber 160 would be sitting at the back door.

Tony