PDA

View Full Version : Flying G Reg Multi's on Basis of FAA Multi

Charlie Zulu
19th May 2004, 09:28
Hi All,

As I'm off to Florida to gain my Multi Engine Rating on both my FAA CPL/IR and JAA PPL/IMC I just have one little question.

When I get home from the USA will I be able to fly a G Registered Multi Engine aeroplane here in the UK on the basis of my FAA CPL/IR Multi?

This is because I'm looking to do my checkout on a Seminole and maybe do a bit of P1 flying in the multi before the CAA has issued my multi rating on my JAA PPL/IMC.

I know I'm allowed to fly Single Engine aeroplanes on the basis of the FAA licence, but now that licence will also have a multi does this bold true in multi aeroplanes as well?

As you know the UK CAA can take a good few weeks to issue ratings on licences and would like to be flying a G-Reg Multi (as P1) before then if at all possible. :D

-----

On a seperate note I've been looking in my copy of Lasors (this years edition) and I can't find any reference in converting an ICAO Multi rating over to a JAA Multi rating. (like the CAA give an IMC to an FAA IR holder for the exchange of an appropriate fee).

So I have come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that I will need to also undertake the JAA Multi Written Test (as set by NAC) and the JAA Multi Skills Test. As the school that I am going to is UK CAA approved for JAA Multi ratings this shouldn't be a problem.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Flyin'Dutch'
19th May 2004, 12:07
CZ,

Re your first question: As I understand it the answer is yes.

Dunno about the second though.

When I did my twin-rating they still had gollies on the jam so have no idea which hoops you have to jump through now JAR is in force.

FD

formationfoto
19th May 2004, 12:47
CZ

I think the answer is yes / yes. Quite certain on the first, slightly less so on the second.

If FD says yes on the first I would start with that as my answer.

2Donkeys
19th May 2004, 15:31
As everybody else has said, the answer in the first instance is YES. Your ME CPL/IR is "rendered valid" under the ANO for the purposes of flying G-reg aircraft of the same classes anywhere on the planet. The only restrictions that will apply are:

- No paid work (your licence is honoured as a PPL)

- No IFR other than outside controlled airspace.

I would go with YES on your second question too, but I don't have the reference to hand to quote you.

2D

Charlie Zulu
19th May 2004, 16:03
Hi,

Thanks for the answers everyone, it is what I thought in regards to flying G Reg Multi's on an FAA licence... I'd be limited to VFR clearances and VMC weather with the exception of outside controlled airspace where I could fly in IMC.

Shouldn't matter a great deal anyway as I've just realised that I could go up to Gatwick a week after my flight home and have it issued within the same day (counter service). But before I go to Gatwick I'm probably going to do the checkout.

I'm going to double check with the CAA, just in case though!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Heliport
19th May 2004, 16:17
Isn't it ludicrous that we've just celebrated the centenary of flight yet we still haven't achieved worldwide recognition of licences and ratings?

Pilots with FAA IRs fly 747s into LHR every day, without falling on London - even when it's cloudy - but we don't allow pilots with an FAA IR to fly a G-reg aircraft in controlled airspace. :rolleyes:

Charlie Zulu
19th May 2004, 16:21
Hi Heliport,

We do allow FAA IR's to fly G Registered aeroplanes in Controlled airspace... just not in the clouds!!!

;) :D

Yup I agree with you there!!!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

2Donkeys
19th May 2004, 18:32
Pilots with FAA IRs fly 747s into LHR every day, without falling on London

Heliport

Whilst I agree with the thrust of your posting, this popular misconception might benefit from being corrected.

The FAA IR is a materially easier qualification to obtain than the JAA counterpart. The Ground Exams are much easier, and the Practical Test standards permit lower levels of accuracy (ILS needle deviations for example)

However, before the FAA IR can jump into any seat of authority in a Boeing and fly to London, he needs to pass an ATP flight test. This is another Instrument-based flight test with much tougher flight standards than the JAA IR or the commercial GFT.

THe basic FAA IR is a relatively low first hurdle into IFR flying, and new FAA IR holders are encouraged by the FAA to use their licence prudently in the knoweldge of this.

2D

englishal
19th May 2004, 18:37
You can fly G reg ME aircraft on an FAA certificate as already stated. I think to get issued a JAA ME rating directly depends upon number of hours you have in a ME aircraft (may even be PIC hours). You are excempt from the 6 hr course, and just need to do the flight test otherwise.
However, before the FAA IR can jump into any seat of authority in a Boeing and fly to London, he needs to pass an ATP flight test
Theoretically an FAA CPL / IR could RHS....

The Ground Exams are much easier, and the Practical Test standards permit lower levels of accuracy (ILS needle deviations for example)

Mind you you have to be better at partial panel stuff. the FAA expect a non precision approach to be completed partial panel, whereas JAR only require partial panel basic instrument flying .....but you already knew that ;)

2Donkeys
19th May 2004, 18:52
Theoretically an FAA CPL / IR could RHS....

Another one that is worthwhile clarifying.

In the US, that is essentialy true, providing that the Captain is appropriately type rated.

For ops outside the US in this mythical Boeing, both crew must be Type Rated... and here's the catch. The Flight Test for the Type rating follows the same format and pass criteria as the ATP flight test.

You can't beat the system. :D

2D

Flying Lawyer
19th May 2004, 19:31
Evo.
Qualifications and currency aren't even remotely analagous.

Apologies if I've failed to recognise that your contribution was intended to be jocular.

Evo
19th May 2004, 19:51
My apologies, FL, a long day that started at 5am and shows no sign of ending soon.

MEI
20th May 2004, 21:21
Hmmm, FAA an easier ride. Flew a DME arc, partial panel NDB full procedure, and of course the ILS circle to land. Wasn't the easist ride I was ever on. A bit harder than the bog standard UK NDB,ils single engine , missed approach visual to land though, that I did on my conversion.

Oh almost forgot the 2 hour oral exam to get warmed up.