PDA

View Full Version : Quick one about Charts

MikeJeff
17th May 2004, 16:03
If I'm flying non airways IFR, do I legally have to have a VFR chart with me? or just an IFR one?

Chocks Wahey
17th May 2004, 17:03
Surely good airmanship would suggest that you should have one!

MikeJeff
17th May 2004, 18:48
I'm talking about law not airmanship. If I'm tracking vor to ndb etc etc. I don't need a VFR chart. Controlled airspace/msa/danger areas etc are all covered in the IFR chart.

Chilli Monster
17th May 2004, 19:46
The only requirement is to have the correct charts for the flight being flown - if you're totally IFR, and don't require the VFR chart then you don't need it.

fireflybob
17th May 2004, 20:25
>(ii) Maps, charts, codes and other documents and navigational equipment necessary, in addition to any other equipment required under this Order, for the intended flight of the aircraft including any diversion which may reasonably be expected.<

This is what the ANO says.

I was always under the impression that there is a requirement to carry topo charts of the route even when flying IFR.

Maybe this has changed but when I was flying for the airlines we always had topo charts in the library.

I guess you might need them if you lose all radios etc and have to continue visually - heaven forbid!

Chilli Monster
17th May 2004, 20:41
I was always under the impression that there is a requirement to carry topo charts of the route even when flying IFR.

Maybe this has changed but when I was flying for the airlines we always had topo charts in the library.

At the last count we had 8 Aerad binders covering northern and southern Europe behind the 1st pax seat in the Citation.

Damned if I'd know where we'd fit the half-mils too, not that they'd be any good at IFR levels be it inside or outside CAS!

owenlars
18th May 2004, 12:53
I personally always carry the half mills for wherever I am going. There is nothing worse than having to leave CAS for whatever reason (ATC, ice, Transponder problem, landing at a non IFR airfield etc) and having to navigate VFR (or rather fumble around VFR) with an airways chart. Admittedly a Citation is a bit different to the PA32 and I guess there are very few events which would lead to a Citation being kicked out of CAS.

fireflybob
18th May 2004, 13:07
Topo charts don't have to be half mill for this purpose.

One mill charts will cut done on the bulk issue!

FlyingForFun
20th May 2004, 17:33
Have heard stories about airliners from other countries, whose pilots aren't familiar with the idea of IFR in Class G, going into some of our smaller airports. No problems on the way in, but on the way out, if they are unexpectedly told to "remain clear of controlled airspace", they start to panic a little since they don't have any charts to tell them where to go. Sorry - that doesn't answer, the question, but it seems kind-of relevant so I thought I'd mention it!

FFF
-------------