View Full Version : Yak Prop clearance?

Floppy Link
17th May 2004, 15:34
sorry if it's been posted before - I've just seen it for the first time

http://www.stevesairshow.com/videos/jsoh04/jsoh04-yak-close.rm

:ooh:

Rallye Driver
17th May 2004, 18:01
Good job he wasn't doing that along the North Norfolk coast!

Very lucky to be alive I should say.

RD

Evo
17th May 2004, 18:49
When I downloaded it, it was displayed in the RealOne player

... and, bl**dy hell, that was close...!

M14P
17th May 2004, 19:58
~*&%$£@?-ing hell!

Buttock Clenching.

Floppy Link
17th May 2004, 20:57
kinda brings a double meaning to the phrase "skid marks" doesn't it?
:ooh:

treadigraph
17th May 2004, 21:22
Final few feet appear to be distinctly nose up - wouldn't mind betting they found some scratches in the paintwork on that rad housing aft of the cockpit! Very lucky lad... think he can be excused the laundry bill!

Ex Oggie
17th May 2004, 23:54
...... and incredibly, he then throws a roll off on the recovery, with a potentially damaged airframe! A little too susceptible to peer pressure maybe?

stiknruda
18th May 2004, 16:16
Shocking - it smacks of very poor planning.

When I started my DA work up, I was told NEVER to split S or reverse half Cuban below 1000'

Stik

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th May 2004, 18:12
Shades of the tragic Spitfire crash at Woodford a decade or so ago.... But this guy, amazingly, got away with it by about as tiny a margin as possible.

I, too, was amazed he rolled it after that. And I love the brief hesitation in commentry when it looks like he's going in, to be quickly resumed when he makes that amazing escape from forever wearing a pair of permanent wings.

SSD

Evo
18th May 2004, 18:14
Is there any more info about this? Did it touch the runway, or did he get away with it...

treadigraph
18th May 2004, 22:41
Andrews AFB last weekend.

From what I have gleaned from another site, there is a wide ditch alongside the runway (shades of Oshkosh: those of you who have been there will know what I mean) which gives a slightly better clearance than it might appear. So he apparently didn't touch the ar$e of...

The low recovery was unintentional (well, I should hope so!) and he got away with it and flew the following day as well... presumably having raised the act a trifle! Not sure the CAA would have sanctioned that...