PDA

View Full Version : LanChile fires 73 pilots to hire scabs

Hauck10
15th Sep 2001, 00:17
In a paranoid anti union reaction LanChile has fired 73 pilots to intimidate the rest of its pilot workforce. In order to avoid a legal negotiation coming next october LanChile has incurred in hostile tactics against its 400 unionized pilots. First offering millionnaire sums of money to pilots to make them leave the union. After that, they started to hire scabs in other countries, making them fly using tourist illegal visas. After the union reaction of a slow down, Unscrupulous LanChile management has fired 73 thecnically sound pilots. Are the scabs up to the same standards? Be advised, we will not be intimidated, and we willnegotiate to the full extent of the law.

aluminum ovcst
15th Sep 2001, 04:47
In the thread Attention B767/A340 Crews (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015258), a certain contributor wrote:
Senior airline management is a very specific profession, and it is very hard to find really good managers. Lan Chile is doing good as far as I remember from latest reports - that's an achievement of your managers.

A local news agency also quotes that the reduction was called for in order to "fix" the problem with delayed and cancelled flights. I wonder how these geniusesarrived at this unbelievable solution. No further comment.

scanscanscan
15th Sep 2001, 16:22
Please correct me if I am wrong but did not firing pilots work (atleast short term) for Cathay?
I notice that today managers have the power to fire pilots and claw back any company pension contributions, if indeed any have been made.
Pilots on the other hand have only one right and that is to resign.
This is the reality in many Middle East airline companies and applies to both local and expat pilots.
Managers now feel they have a proven short term method of reducing their costs and controling their crews by following the Australian 89, Cathay, Gulf Air, management manuals on CRM.
Nowonder nobody in management wants to arm their crews!!

Mapshift
15th Sep 2001, 18:02
It may appear to "work" but you reap what you sow...