PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hi viz INSIDE the aircraft

FNG
17th May 2004, 11:45
Two introductory remarks:-

1. This is NOT, repeat NOT, repeat NOT (did I say not) an attempt to re-hash the hoary debate about whether or not hi-viz vests should be worn on the manouevreing area of an airfield.

2. See 1 above.

OK, now to the point: the other day I stopped by at a large, well run commercial airfield to buy fuel. Whilst preparing to depart, I saw two of the locals stroll out to a club aircraft, wearing hi viz, as required by the airfield managers. They got in and flew off, still wearing the hi viz. I've seen this happen at other places too. Is it just me that thinks this to be an example of a safety item being used in such a way as to create a potential danger? I am thinking of the well known fire retarding qualities of plastic vests. Mmmmn, nice skin grafts, Dr Monroe.

PS: if anyone reading this hasn't yet realised that this is not about wearing hi viz vests on the tarmac, please start again at the top.

Flyin'Dutch'
17th May 2004, 11:52
FNG,

You, as always, do raise a very valid point here.

I think however that unless you are wearing the Nomex stuff, that in the event of an aircraft fire there will be little difference in the outcome of the high vis vest wearers and those wearing the usual man-made-fibre stuff.

The point you may want to consider though in this scenario is that both aviators may have wanted to warn each other of the risks they let themselves into by flying with each other!

FD

PS Bought a yellow vis jacket when these edicts first emerged and have it still in its original wrapper 2 year on, and counting!

PPS Why can't we be like the French and just ignore silly rules!?!

AerBabe
17th May 2004, 12:13
I would have thought it would also reduce visibility, with the fluorescent yellow reflecting off the canopy. Very dangerous. You might not be able to see the other aircraft with the pilot wearing a HV vest to stop you flying into him. And hence fly into him.

BEagle
17th May 2004, 12:17
Quite right, AerBabe! An idiot and his colleague wearing those stupid yellow vests in their car nearly drove into me due to the bright reflections from their road-diggers' vests on the windows of their car......!!

Hi-viz vests just about sum up what's wrong with the world!

S-Works
17th May 2004, 12:30
Just to clarify are we talking about wearing them inside or outside..........

:p :O :D

AerBabe
17th May 2004, 12:42
What about wearing them inside out?

Hersham Boy
17th May 2004, 12:46
Most people wear enough man-made, melt-able fibres these days that I wouldn't have thought a hi-vis vest would be a signficant enough issue to worry about?

I wear mine outside (it's a stupid regulation but a very trivial point, so why not) and take it off inside the a/c as it's a bit scratchy. And I'm a sensitive lad.

FNG
17th May 2004, 12:55
Wearing man made fibres whilst flying is a bit on the daft side in my opinion. I gather from Hersh's point about finding the vest a bit scratchy that he has sensibly elected to fly naked, or at least topless, which is obviously the right call.

A melted hi viz vest might give an extra runny, cheese on toast effect. At least it might make you easier to spot amongst the smouldering wreckage.

PS: FD, I appreciate your kind words, but must strive harder to achieve my aim of irrelevance and foolishness in all posts.

Hersham Boy
17th May 2004, 14:09
Always naked, yes. I find it makes ATC much keener to get me out of their line of sight, thus decreasing taxi and hold times :D

FNG
17th May 2004, 14:11
I suppose that I'd better not ask where you put your pen

Edit: this just in re flying in yer scanties. Puts a new complexion on "high visibility":-

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_958016.html

MLS-12D
26th May 2004, 23:38
I am thinking of the well known fire retarding qualities of plastic vests. Mmmmn, nice skin grafts, Dr Monroe.Indeed! :uhoh:

whatunion
28th May 2004, 20:40
high vis jackets are a health and safety requirement and should be worn when not on a designated path at uk airfields where h&s have deemed it nesecarry.

as an airline pilot can i tell you its quite dangerous these days doing a walk round with engineering vehicles, catering vehicles, fuelling vehicles etc on the ramp, i was nearly run over a few months ago at heathrow by a reversing baggage truck in low light.

when i come onto stand its also very important, especialy in low light, that all personel around the a/c can be seen these jackets are great in that respect.

i appreciate that as private flyers it can be a pain but discipline and regulations are an essential part of flying and are needed to ensure we all go home in one piece every night!

Chilli Monster
28th May 2004, 20:51
as an airline pilot can i tell you its quite dangerous these days doing a walk round with engineering vehicles, catering vehicles, fuelling vehicles etc on the ramp, i was nearly run over a few months ago at heathrow by a reversing baggage truck in low light.

And of course, you get lots of baggage trucks driving round the aircraft parking area at your average GA airfield ;)

I'm all in favour of them where they're necessary in the environments you speak of - but there has been a lot of 'bandwagon' jumping in places where they're not . H&S have, in a lot of cases, not even made any recommendation.

Kellvin
28th May 2004, 21:41
To make sure I never get mine dirty I rolled it up and wrapped it in plastic wrap. I always carry it in my hand when I am walking around an airfield and never wear it in the aircraft.

I always make sure it is packed, still rolled up, in my flying case before I leave. This way it never causes me visability problems when I depart.

KD

FNG
28th May 2004, 23:13
Hello whatunion. There's nothing that we amateur blunderers like more than being visited and patted on the head by the airline skygods. If they can give us little patronising chats as well, our pleasure knows no bounds. As an airline pilot, you may be familiar with reading checklists, SOPs, and the like. May I therefore recommend that you read the opening post in this thread, and then, when you have done that, read it again. PS: a clue: have a look at the thread's title also. Enjoy!

Edit: ouch: I have just been run over by a baggage cart whilst sitting inside my aeroplane.

fireflybob
29th May 2004, 08:18
Chilli Monster, well said!

I know it's a bit off the thread topic but I think this (true) story is worth repeating.

Pilot goes out to his a/c at GA airfield to be summoned back to the phone to ring ATC. "Why are you not wearing your high viz jacket?" ATC ask. "How do you know I am not wearing my high viz jecket?" was the pilot's reply (knowing full well that the tower was over a mile away from his a/c's position). "We can see you!" say ATC -"Well, if you can see me why do I need to wear my high viz jacket?!!"

Paracab
29th May 2004, 21:04
FNG,

Nice one, still laughing, touch... :ok: :p :O :}

redsnail
29th May 2004, 21:32
Never wore one in Oz. Well once, but the safety manager was my captain so I thought I'd better toe the line.

I used to wear the Hiviz inside the mighty Shed (at night too!) because I couldn't be bothered taking it off. I usually was wearing a shirt/fleece jacket/bomber nylony jacket and a scarf so wrestling with that lot just to get the Hi Viz off seemed more of a pain that what it was worth.

Must admit though, during summer and a day flight I'd remove it.