PDA

View Full Version : A secret Soviet/UK project?

AerBabe
16th May 2004, 22:51
I was in Wiltshire this weekend, visiting the old folk and doing some walking with a friend. On Saturday we were in the area around Compton Abbas. Having got very hot and tired wondering the hills, we retreated (via the footpath that goes straight across the runway :uhoh: ) to the flying club for icecreams. While we were sat there a Yak-50 started its engine and taxied off for a brief aerobatic display. The chap behind us turned to his wife and made a comment about the aircraft's Merlin engine. I nearly choked on my icecream and my friend had to kick me in the shin to keep me quiet.

What should I have done:
a) Assumed that the chap was just trying to impress his misses, and wouldn't want to know he was wrong?
b) Assumed that the chap was right and the Soviets really would put a Rolls-Royce engine in their aircraft?
c) Turned round and asked, with a straight face, what he thought of the performance of the Merlin compared to the Rotax fitted to the earlier models?
d) Turned round and said that actually it was probably an Ivchenko?

sickBocks
17th May 2004, 00:16
Definitely (a).

But maybe you could have pointed out loudly how 'graceful that Spitfire is' and let him correct you and tell you it was a Yak.

LowNSlow
17th May 2004, 05:19
I think I'd have either gone for a) or c).

My mum always taught me that the best way to save face was to keep the lower half shut if uncertain of the facts. hasn't stopped me doing it though. :\ :\

FNG
17th May 2004, 08:47
OK, Boris, yezterday, you are tractor driver. Today, you are fighter pilot and Hero of Soviet Union. Comrade, I embrace you!Also, you fix Yak. With lump hammer. Be careful wth engine. We use captured technology of decadent capitalist fools. Ha!

Kolibear
17th May 2004, 09:41
AB, you'll soon have plenty of opportunity to compare the engine notes of Merlin vs Ivchenko.

Lowtimer
17th May 2004, 19:45
Comrade AB!

Is not simply Ivchenko! Comrade Alexander Ivchenko is designer of Wilga engine. Comrade Ivan Vedeneyev is design authority for higher powered M-14P and subsequent versions, so is Vedeneyev engine fitted to Yak-50.

And in the course of capitalist oppression in new job at North Weald Gulag, if you compare tone of hard working Vedenyev unfavourably with imperialist Rolls-Royce, Essex political commissar will be listening, so be warned!

Dan Dare
17th May 2004, 22:47
Not so top secret were the early soviet jets, which WERE powered by (licence built?) Rolls-royce engines. I'm no spotter, so I can't recall which types, but I'm sure someone will enlighten us...