PDA

View Full Version : Bad 2 Seater Microlights

Algirdas
16th May 2004, 18:01
Genghis,
you stated on one of your replies to a thread some time back, that you consider the following to be 'bad 2 seater microlights':
MW6T, AX2000, Shadow DD, Kolb Twinstar, Thruster TST
I fly an AX2000 currently - interested in what you don't like about it - also the MW6T, the Kolb, and the TST.
No agenda - still toying with what I'm doing next, so I'm interested in what you have to say if you'd care to enlighten me????

Floppy Link
17th May 2004, 07:22
yeh me too
am considering swapping the single seat SEP for a 2 seat micro and any info / opinion is appreciated

:}

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2004, 07:41
Did I really use the word bad? They are certainly all safe, but...

MW6T - does have poor directional stability and a few other quirks (I've flown one with a steel stick that deflected the compass 45° when I moved the stick forward). It's certainly a less pleasant machine to fly than the MW6S, which is side by side, or the single seat MW5 series.

AX2000, it's a sound flying school hack which is grown out of the AX3 which is (in my opinion) nicer to fly (although the seat is rather uncomfortable). Another development of the AX3 is the X'Air which is more readily available than the AX2000 with much better sorted handling. So I probably said that the AX2000 wasn't as nice to fly as it's relatives, but not actually bad, no.

Shadow DD - I think I probably said it wasn't as nice a machine as the lower powered Shadow CD, which although a little slower I've personally found a more comfortable machine, and a little more weight to play with.

Kolb Twinstar. Okay, I probably called this bad, something to do with several people being killed by it's (admittedly now rectified) poor energy absorbing characteristics, the need to carry ballast to fly solo within CG limits and, let's be honest, it's ugly.

Thruster - I have to admit, I spent much of Saturday flying one, and enjoyed it enormously. But it's a blighter to land elegantly (one of the twitchiest taildraggers I know in the flare), with a glide ratio of worse than 5, and a cruise speed around 45 knots. On the other hand, I defy you to find another readily available, well supported 2-seater for £6k! But yes, it is much less well sorted than the newer Thruster T600 series in production at the moment (but selling for 2-3 times the price of a good second hand TST).

G

AerBabe
17th May 2004, 09:22
Presumably the TST can't be that bad or you wouldn't have let me buy into one. ;) :uhoh:

Genghis the Engineer
17th May 2004, 09:50
Well, I wouldn't have bought in myself would I ?

You can find out for yourself shortly and tell everybody what you think.

G

Algirdas
17th May 2004, 18:25
Ta for the views, Genghis.
I learnt on an AX3 and I agree that it is a much sweeter handling machine than the AX2000 - which seems to be much twitchier in the flare - is the TST even worse????

I see there is a Sadler Vampire for sale on le continent - any experience of these? Not sure how much grief it would be to get UK approval???

Algirdas
26th May 2004, 09:50
Ha! I've decided to go from one bad 2 seater to another!
Just bought a Thruster TST - and looking forward to some fun!
A:E

AerBabe
26th May 2004, 11:52
:uhoh:

Sir George Cayley
26th May 2004, 19:16
I wonder what the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) would say about and a/c with a 45 kts cruise and the name Thruster?

Sir George Cayley

AerBabe
27th May 2004, 09:06
One can have thrust without lift. As for speed - everything is relative.

Algirdas
27th May 2004, 10:00
Since the wind is always thrusting it backwards (and all over the place), I may rename it the THRUSTEE :}

AerBabe
27th May 2004, 10:05
In which case, it's a real shame the ASA would complain about "Trusty Thrustee". :hmm:

And also about Busty Trusty Thrusteer.
I'm going to stop now.

Algirdas
27th May 2004, 16:14
So, AeroBabe, are you flying yours yet?
Like it?
A

AerBabe
27th May 2004, 18:01
are you flying yours yet? Yes.
Like it? It's ok.........

Sir George Cayley