PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it all over again?

Kestrel_909
15th May 2004, 19:35
Hello,

Having recently read the same topic thread in the ATC forum, and nearly all if not all replying with a big yes, if they had the chance to start their career over again, would they do the same.
So with such positive feedback from them, I'm left wondering what the guys on the scope and not watching it, think.

If you could start again, you you go back into piloting???

Capt Claret
16th May 2004, 05:57
What a way to make a living!! :D

Engineer
16th May 2004, 07:31
You must be kidding work a maximum of a 100hrs a month for that sort of salary

Too right :ok:

Airbus Girl
16th May 2004, 09:44
Engineer. Please tell me where you can work for only £100 per month full time. I have yet to hear of this airline. Or perhaps its just engineers who do that?!

davethelimey
16th May 2004, 10:47
Um, I think he meant 100 hours per month, not £100.

That's what he said, anyway. :)

Maximum
16th May 2004, 11:31
Hey Engineer, never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh?

Those 100 hours per month to which you refer are flying hours, not duty hours. So if you want to compare like with like, you need to use duty hours.

fireflybob
16th May 2004, 19:02
Well as regards would I choose flying again the answer would have to be yes.

Concerning working for the industry given the current working conditions, well I am not so sure!

Just glad to have enjoyed the halcyon days of the airline industry and been fortunate enough to fly some interesting types without all the gizmos!

Would I advise my children to enter the airline industry now?!

I am not so sure.

OE-LBA
23rd May 2004, 20:27
@ fireflybob
Don't you think situation will change?
Possibly there are too much pilots for the market now, but there are times coming when there is a lack of guys like you...

I really do hope that there is a company somewhere where I can make my ATPL (if possible directly at the company such as these guys (http://www.pkos17.at)) and fly under good working conditions!
I'm not so sure anymore if such thoughts are just wishes :{

I once met a guy currently working as captain on an A321 and I asked him whether he would start his career again. And without thinking about it for a second, a big smile appeared on his face and he nodded. But when I wanted to know about the chances nowadays his smile disappeared and he wasn't that sure anymore...

Please tell me, what make you guys that pessimistic ???

Thanks, Niki

JW411
24th May 2004, 18:30
Yes indeed I would. It has and still is a great way to earn a living; despite the hassle and frustrations brought about by 9/11.

It certainly beats the hell out of working!

Atlanta-Driver
26th May 2004, 20:08
Absolutely no doubt about that. I would do it all over again. Howerver I might take a bit different route than I originally chose.

AD

Jimmenycricket
27th May 2004, 01:42
Aren't there quite a few of the baby boomers still in the industry? By the time they all retire, with everyone so hyped about working with computers, you would think that there would be flight jobs aplenty, wouldn't you?

willfly380
31st May 2004, 12:00
why not,imagine getting paid to do your hobby