PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands Queries

DOC.400
15th May 2004, 08:23
I'm flying a pal into East Midlands late Monday afternoon.

Are there any procedures, any advice, food available, if the airport restaurant any good, any suggestions, local knowledge, joining/departure -entry/exit lanes, would ATC give vectors to the ILS for a VFR flight? -usual questions!!

Look forward to the replies................sensible or otherwise...:D

DOC

2Donkeys
15th May 2004, 08:30
I can't offer any specific advice on VFR routings, the last couple of times I've landed there were very IMC.

Handling will be by Execair and will not be cheap. My last landing was in a tiny TB20 and I was parted with around £70.

A year or two it used to be possible to be "handled" by one of the local flying clubs, but recent enquiries suggested that this particular loophole has now been closed.

Restaurants at the terminal serve the usual airport fare, although one has quite a nice view over the apron and runway if you are into that kind of thing.

DRJAD
15th May 2004, 08:57
a) If its VMC they'd probably, I'd guess, prefer you to be on a shorter final than the ILS, for expedition.

b) entry exit lanes are as detailed in Pooley's, etc.. They are, I believe, preferred for VFR flights.

c) expect to be marshalled - last time (in a PA28) I landed on R27, and was marshalled to stand 53, I think. (On the west of the main apron, to the right when you turn into the apron. The Aerad guides have all the data on stands.)

d) Handling is compulsory. Last time I went in there (about a year ago) there was a discount for paying in cash to the marshaller - get the details when you telephone for handling.

e) Briefing room in the base of the tower.

(For example: exact routing from the north last time was, call for zone entry 10 mins. prior to zone boundary. Zone boundary reached VFR at Trowell services on the M1. Cleared to enter via the e/e lane (following the M1 southbound from Trowell) not above 2000'. Join right base for R27 , i.e. routing between Radcliffe power station and the M1 (which passes almost at the threshold of R27.))

Hope this helps.

2Donkeys
15th May 2004, 10:03
Last time I went in there (about a year ago) there was a discount for paying in cash to the marshaller

Not an allegation - but are you sure that was Kosher.

2D

NinjaBill
15th May 2004, 10:18
Handling is compulsory, and is cheapest from execair (or something like that) and handling + landing for a PA28 was about £45 last time i was there in March.

I entered the zone from Trowell VRP from the North. You will be told to keep left or Right of the M1, depending on which runway is use (left of the M1 from the north for rw 27, right of M1 for rw 09, and the opposite for departing), and then join left or right base.

NB

DRJAD
15th May 2004, 14:37
2D,

I believe so, I was given a proper receipt. Might have been because it was a training flight (my QXC, so it must have been March, 2003, a bit more than a year ago, now I come to think of it!)

Jinkster
15th May 2004, 16:05
Routed from Cranfield to Sheffield City. Very friendly ATC :ok: Heard myself its not cheap to fly into there.

Terminal has a good cafe, aviation shop :ok:, usual bits and bobs, cash machine and toilets etc

All the best,

Jinkster

EastMids
15th May 2004, 18:36
Get the ATIS and if VFR give them a call ten miles from the boundary, or in the region of the Markfield (south) or Trowell (north) VRPs at the latest.

If VFR, expect to be routed into the zone within 1.5 miles to the east of the M1 motorway (for runway 27) or within 1.5 miles to the west of the M1 motorway (for runway 09), not above 2000' QNH. Zone boundaries are at the M1 juntions north and south of EMA - northern boundary is the road from Nottingham to Derby, southern boundary is the road from Loughborough to Shepshed. The zone entry/exit reporting points are "Long Eaton" north and "Shepshed" south. Once cleared into the zone, route towards right or left base as appropriate - do not cross the M1 from the side you're on as there could be VFR traffic outbound the other side. Be prepared for left/right base orbits if there's jet traffic inbound. All procedures are similar outbound, although you'll be on the opposite side of the M1 from entry for seperation.

Direct VFR joins from other directions (most often permitted is an M42 join from the south west, or via the EME from the east or via the EMW from the west) are sometimes granted subject to other traffic. ATC may provide radar vectored ILS to VFR traffic but it will be on request and subject to inbound commercial traffic - if you're insistant, be prepared for to go into the hold if they've got a string of inbound jets at the same time as you (which is becoming increasingly likely).

Only catering land-side in the terminal is a coffee shop and a sandwich shop - all the upstairs facilities including the hot food caterers and the bar, and the views, are now air-side only.

Handling is mandatory (ExecAir), and landing fees I'll defer to others. GA parking is usually west side of the main ramp (marshalled) for short stays, or often on cargo-east if staying overnight. Handlers will provide a minibus to/from the terminal.

DOC.400
16th May 2004, 09:07
Thanks for all your feedback guys!!

East Mids -your description makes sense of the Jeppesen -many thanks. :ok:

The Flying Club also rang me back this morning as a result of an e-mail.

Think I'll go to Tollerton -the taxi for him will be cheaper than the handling fee!! :D

Not that I haven't mixed it with the big boys before, but I find a little local knowledge always helps.

DOC

2Donkeys
16th May 2004, 09:12
Tollerton is a nice place.

As I wrote originally, the only times of late that I've been forced to use East Mids have been when the weather has ruled out Tollerton.

Rumour has it that the long-deceased Tiger Moth pub at Tollerton is shortly to re-open as an Indian Restaurant. Could become a destination of choice now that the evenings are getting longer.

2D

DOC.400
16th May 2004, 09:26
Ironically I've been to Tollerton twice in the last three weeks.

Can recommend the cooked breakfast!:p

DOC

Chilli Monster
16th May 2004, 10:25
Rumour has it that the long-deceased Tiger Moth pub at Tollerton is shortly to re-open as an Indian Restaurant. Could become a destination of choice now that the evenings are getting longer.

Indeed - there's a sign at the start of the driveway to that effect, though can't remember the date.

Sir George Cayley
16th May 2004, 17:21
For a really warm welcome from EMA's controllers dont forget to say -

"Good morning Castle Don this is Golf.........."

They really appreciate the opportunity to point out their proper hailing in a caring (but somewhat lacking in humour) kinda way!

What about the grass field just west of EMA. Someone remind me of its name?

Sir George Cayley

Tone
16th May 2004, 19:07
Was at Tollerton yesterday, not much sign of dynamic activity over the last few weeks at the new restaurant so it could be a while before it’s up & running. If they convert the whole pub into a restaurant it could be the biggest in the Midlands.

ShyTorque
16th May 2004, 23:12
What about the grass field just west of EMA. Someone remind me of its name?

Sir George Cayley

Er, that'll be Derby then?

Or is it Robin Hood, Southern Region, Prison Valley International? :p

ALTSEL
17th May 2004, 06:01
Try Leicester to the south or tatenhill to the west.
East Midlands is a sad place these day's run by a bunch of nanny state yellow jacketed suits. Airside it must rank as the uk's most ugly Airport by far - avoid at all costs.

flyingwelshman
17th May 2004, 11:24
Correct me if this is still not the case -

but -

On arrival you can just ask for direction sot he flying club (DonAir or East Mids Flying School) - and then you do not have to get marshalled in.......

FW

Saab Dastard
17th May 2004, 17:05
Well, Doc - you got a lovely day for it! I hope you had a good flight. :)

SD

DOC.400
17th May 2004, 21:09
Correct FW, -Donair in this case.

SD -excellent day, but viz not so good and into sun viz v.poor. Asked for and got vectors to the ILS for practice, but glad I did as the PAPI's only visible at about 4miles........

At 6pm the cafe had sold out of food, but the girl there, bless her, rustled up a couple of ciabatta's. Nice coffee too!!

DOC