PDA

View Full Version : Chalgrove...Is it available?

Flyboy-F33
14th May 2004, 13:04
Business meeting next week right next door to Chalgrove. Anyone been there? Will they let you in? Any info greatfully received. I know it is owned by Martin Baker.!

GG

FNG
14th May 2004, 13:09
I haven't landed there, but I am fairly sure it is available PPR, with details on the Martin Baker UK website. One of the last Meteors lives there. Otherwise, maybe try Lewknor strip?

tmmorris
14th May 2004, 15:50
Or Benson, depending on your view of MOD landing fees.

If you do go to Chalgrove, be aware that it is scarily close (by 2004 standards) to the approach to Benson runway 19, which is also the one with ILS.

Tim

Brooklands
14th May 2004, 16:43
FlyBoy,

I live just over the road from Chalgrove airfield. Normally the only movements there are either Martin-Baker's King-Air ot Meteor test aircraft. As far as I know (and I haven't got my Pooley's here to confirm it) you can only get permission to land there if you're doing business with Martin Baker. I'm afraid you'll only get a definitive answer by phoning them (01865 892724 according the on-line AIP).

I doubt that the strip at Lewknor is an option - its used by the London Parachute club, and I think is operated under the 28 day rule.

Brooklands

FNG
15th May 2004, 06:10
Or try 01865 891465 (the number from the websiite which, contrary to my previous impression, does not indicate whether or not visitors are accepted at the airfield). I bet that John Hampden wished he'd had an ejector seat when he was at Chalgrove field in 1643.

A and C
15th May 2004, 08:09
I doubt that you will get permision to land at Chalgrove but Benson may well be your best bet , as to the landing fees the cost can be offset by uplifting as much fuel as you can as the fuel price is very compeditive.

Warped Factor
16th May 2004, 16:02
Speaking of Lewknor, they were jumping there today from FL90.

Watching on radar there were an awful lot of a/c flying either directly over or very close to the airfield/drop zone whilst the para a/c was in the air.

Given that the site is clearly marked on the map as being one where parachuting takes place I would have thought it would have been a sensible place to give a wide berth?

WF.

Wycombe
16th May 2004, 18:37
....indeed so WF, so when navigating myself back to home base from the North this morning, made sure to keep East of the big mast (you know, the one that's not on the map anymore :D ) to avoid this activity.

Expect you saw me up at 5500', playing around 'twixt WCO and DTY - 1013 set on alt. No2 to ensure no CAS violations!