PDA

View Full Version : VFR in PAX flights in JAA

Rwy in Sight
14th May 2004, 08:53
A new operator is about to start floatplanes flights connecting some islands with the mainland in a JAA country. They start with sightseeing tours but they hope to have a schedule service in late summer.

My question is it allowed to fly a pax service in VFR flight plans. The aircraft are not equiped for IFR flights.

Thanks

Rwy in Sight

Engine overtemp
14th May 2004, 09:56
And why shouldn't it be legal?

It's perfectly safe and legal as indeed are all sightseeing flights.

Rwy in Sight
14th May 2004, 16:23
Engine overtemp

Apologies for not making my selfclear. They think about run a sightseeing operation during summer but they want to run schedule serivices after September. So my question remains are they allowed to run the scheduled services. after sightseeing tours have ceased, in VFR flights. I am more concerned about IMC in winter time, need to maintain the service thus difficult to maintain VFR....

Sorry I can't be more clear I don't want to mention the name of the operator.

Rwy in Sight

eyeinthesky
15th May 2004, 10:58
The rules are fairly simple:

If you plan a flight VFR, the actual weather must be at or above VMC minima at departure and arrival and en route at the anticipated level of flight. It must also be forecast to remain so for a certain period of time (an hour, I think) after your estimated time at each point on the route.

If it isn't, you can't go VFR.

As for schedule reliability, that is up to the company. If they are prepared to take the hit to the schedule when the weather is IMC, then that is their business. There is, as far as I am aware, no legal requirement to FORCE them to operate a flight they have scheduled.

Miles Magister
15th May 2004, 11:40
RiS,

The rules for meeting the schedule are governed by the country who issues the operating licence, not JAA. This will depend entirely on how your national legislation is worded.

The company will be required to issue terms and conditions of carraige which are registered with the national authority such as UK CAA, German LBA, French DGAC etc. The terms and conditions would have to state the probability of cancellation during the winter months and this provision will have to be written into the operating licence issued to the company.

You may have a hard time getting the national authority to agree to it as the whole point of scheduled runs is that they are scheduled to happen and it will be a requirement of the operators licence that the company operates the runs. Customers are also unlikely to book in advance on the terms you allude to.

You need to talk with the department who issue operators licenses in your national authority.

MM