PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Iceland

Droopystop
13th May 2004, 21:33
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

I am looking into visiting Iceland and wonder what preferences pilots had for routings.....

So far I have two options for my UK departure airport - Stornoway or Wick. Stornoway is 60 miles closer to Reykjavik than Wick, but most pilots seem to choose Wick. Also does Stornoway suffer from fog as much a Wick does?

Any help appreciated

DS

Fly Stimulator
13th May 2004, 21:59
There was an article on just such a trip in one of the mags (Flyer I think) a year or two ago.

If I recall correctly 2Donkeys was involved, so if he doesn't pass this way you could PM him.

flyingfemme
14th May 2004, 07:04
Wick - RATSU - EL - BIRK

Wick is the easiest, mostly due to Andy at Farnorth.

Flyin'Dutch'
14th May 2004, 07:12
FS,

Correct.

The Flying Pirates undertook this trip 2 years ago and the route we took was Wick - Vagar - Hofn - Reykjavic.

2 Ds is your man.

I will drop him a line.

FD

2Donkeys
14th May 2004, 08:25
I just had this thread pointed out to me.

As Flyin Dutch wrote, we went via the Faroes and Hofn on the South East tip of Iceland. We chose this route (in preference to the route that Flying Femme gives) because we had VFR only pilots with us, and the conventional ferry pilots' route forces you to remain below FL55 over a large tract of water because of class A airspace. Even routing via the Faroes at VFR levels you will lose VHF contact for some time. Routing more directly, you will lose it for a large chunk of time.

Combining that with a piston single may exceed your risk appetite... and that ultimately is one of the biggest elements in choice of route.

I would endorse Wick Airport as others have done Andy Bruce at Far North aviation is an old hand at this game and knows all the tricks. Unfortunately, Wick town is a complete dump though, so I'd probably aim for Kirkwall as a stopping off point in preference having now had the Wick experience once or twice. For a first time, put up with Wick town, and benefit from Andy's experience.

Feel free to PM if you want more details or a chat.

2D

Droopystop
14th May 2004, 17:52
Thanks for the replies, Guys.

Just as a matter on interest, has anyone used Stornoway as a departure point? I fancy going as direct as possible, despite having more limited radio coverage (although there will be plenty of high level traffic).

2Donkeys
14th May 2004, 20:25
Getting a word in amongst the baseball scores can make relying on high-level traffic difficult :D

I have returned via Stornoway and perhaps the only feature of note is that it has some of the most expensive AVGAS in the known universe.

A good reason for avoiding it IMHO.

2D

ZodiacDrifter
14th May 2004, 20:42
Until Oct 2003 we had never routed through SYY. But bad WX at Wick meant we had to DIV to SYY and we were all pleasantly surprised with the reception we received. The guys (and gals) there really pulled out all the stops for us, there is even a decent sized little township with a bouyant nightlife. For us it was a great find and one we now 'choose' to route to. Go with your instincts Droopy you won't be disappointed! Keep us posted with how you get on. :D

scottish_ppl
14th May 2004, 23:32
Here's (http://www.cirrus147.com/day_five.htm) a trip report of a crossing made to Stornoway, complete with video clips.

Good service, and it is the shortest route. My own water crossings are limited to crossing the minch rather than the atlantic to get there, though.

On your fog question, the met office graph of "Low visibility events" is scaled 0-1 percent for Stornoway, and 0 to 7 percent for Wick. Looks like a clear win for Stornoway!

Fly Stimulator
15th May 2004, 00:22
scottish_ppl,

There's another video by the same ferry pilot bringing a different Cirrus over recently in the Personal Flying Videos (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111332&perpage=15&pagenumber=8) thread.

He wasn't as lucky with the weather as he and Ian were on their trip, but still made it across OK and dropped in at Stornoway en route.

Droopystop
16th May 2004, 10:24
Thanks for the links and the advice.

Stornoway now looks the way to go.

I will let you know how I get on

DS