PDA

View Full Version : St Marys, Isles of Scilly

Sky Goose
13th May 2004, 09:58
Hi

I’m planning a weekend jolly to St Mary's in the Scilly Islands.

But I’ve just heard that the airport is closed on Sundays, but that one can get special permission to use it on Sundays.

I’m planning on flying in on Saturday from Exeter and leaving on Sunday, any ideas of how to get around this ?

Or does closed really mean closed. duhh.

any help appreciated

cheers

FNG
13th May 2004, 10:04
It is closed on Sundays so that they can set fire to the wicker men containing the pilots who flew in on Saturday.

The internet is indeed marvellous, but what is wrong with phoning up and asking?

Sky Goose
13th May 2004, 10:08
I have phoned them, the first bloke I spoke to said that you can get special (dispensation?) to fly on Sundays but he put me through to a rather less helpfull individual who just claimed the Airport was closed and that is that !

So I was just cheking if anyone had any experience with the system there.

cheers

FNG
13th May 2004, 10:20
My apologies, and in that case I won't lend them my lighter. Best of luck with your trip.

Sky Goose
13th May 2004, 10:23
Thank for the advice.

Whats the story with the pyromania ?

oscarmike
13th May 2004, 11:30
Hi Sky Goose

I am planning a trip there Whit Bank Holiday weekend for that reason - that I can fly out on Saturday and (hopefully!) return on the Monday.

However, the 2004 UK VFR flight guide says quite specifically that the airport is closed on Sunday and NOT to attempt to land or take off on that day.

I would be interested to hear any other pilot's experiences of flying there however - I understand that the runway, whilst quite short, has a pronounced hump in the middle which has been described as a bit like trying to land on the roof of a house.....!

Regards

OM

Sky Goose
13th May 2004, 11:42
Hi Oscarmike

Got hold of the airport manager, he says no flying on Sunday due to saftey reasons ? (supposedly no fire service ?) But there are three local blokes who use it on Sundays.

He also mentioned the runway, apparently there is a short (600m) paved strip, but the longer one is half grass and half turf and rather bumpy. He said something about getting a briefing from them before flying in.

The airport number is 01720 422 677

Also got some rates: (single engine)
Landing : £16.09
Parking (overnight) : £7.35

They operate from 0700- 19:00

Still awaiting my plates.

If you do go please let me know how it went, and enjoy.

cheers

cblinton@blueyonder.
13th May 2004, 12:33
I have been there several times and had a great time there 4 weeks ago.

Its a lovely place with good walks and some nice pubs.
Remember also there is no fuel so Lands End can be used for an uplift if needed.

Nail your approach speed and plan to touch down on the numbers, you want to try and stop before going over the hump or you will be heading downhill on grass.
You can fly a low approach and go round to check out the gradient if required.

Its no big deal but do try to fly a precise approach.:ok:

DubTrub
13th May 2004, 22:59
I understand they are strictly PPR, and a flight plan is required for the crossing, with ETA for the half-way point from Lands End (St Just) but this info may be a few years old...

cblinton@blueyonder.
14th May 2004, 15:11
no flight plan is needed, however lands end atc will ask you for your mid way estimate.

Birdwatcher
14th May 2004, 19:03
Does anyone happen to know whether there is there any way you can get airborne from St Mary's as an ordinary tripper and get your hands on the controls?

Am visiting with a non-flying friend at the end of May and wondered what my chances of aviating were. I've got a little power flying experience; visited Land's End airfield (nice bunch of people) last year but was weathered out ... is there anything like a flying school on the Isles themselves?

Any info appreciated.

Xeque
15th May 2004, 15:36
I'm a little confused here.

Back in the 80's when I last resided in the UK, we would do 'Scilles for lunch' out of Bodmin on Saturdays or Sundays.

We flew VFR - no need to flight plan - and they were open 7 days a week during daylight hours. You called then up half way across the water but then you would do that anyway. I don't recall PPR at all.

The helicopter from Penzance flew there several times a day as well as the Skybus from St Mawgan and from Lands End.

When did they start closing weekends? It would seem such a waste. It's a lovely airfield and the walk into St Mary's on a summers day to have lunch is a delight.

oscarmike
19th May 2004, 10:42
Birdwatcher: There is certainly no flying school there, and I understand no fuel or maintenance facilities.

Therefore as far as I know there are no aircraft there that can be rented privately.

I asked the same question myself some years ago when I was a student pilot, and as I recall at that time there were only one or two based aircraft (privately owned) and a couple of microlights.

Xeque: we have been visiting Scilly by the Skybus which operates out of Lands End, Exeter and Bristol for some years now, andnwe have never seen a Sunday service. Even the helicopter doesn't operate on Sunday.

Fingers crossed for half decent weather over the May bank holiday weekend - we are really looking forward to our trip.

We originally planned it for the early May holiday weekend but the weather was cr*p. :sad:

Regards

OM

holyflyer
19th May 2004, 12:17
Flew into St. Mary's a few months ago for a weekend.

Definitely shut Sundays, and shuts promptly after last skybus on weekday evenings. No fuel either.

Lovely place though and one of the more interesting approaches and landings you are likely to make in the British Isles.

alphaalpha
20th May 2004, 08:23
I've visited St Mary's a few times in the past and will be there again at the end of the month.

My PPR call confirmed that the airfield is still closed on Sundays.

When considering fuel requirements, and remembering the runways are short, you may consider having pretty minimum fuel for the departure. I would think twice about this as, although Land's End is a closeby refuelling point, it is susceptible to sudden fog and you could find yourself overhead the airfield which is hidden in a fog bank and no options left!

So far as the hump is concerned, it will help you to slow down nicely providing you don't land long. Turbulence over the cliffs can be a problem. Perhaps better solved by a go-around rather than adding a few knots of approach speed!

Finally I was given two new frequencies. I haven't checked if they are promulgated yet, but worth checking on your PPR call:
St Mary's 123.82
St Mawgan 128.72.

I think the Scillies are just lovely, and ideal for visiting in an aeroplane, as you really don't need a car -- but a boat does help to visit the other islands.

AA.