PDA

View Full Version : Whats the cruise speed of PA28-161

Pilot16
12th May 2004, 21:13
Just got my new rating and already slipped this vital info!

Whats the cruise speed of a PA28-161 at cruise power, nil wind condition?

How on earth will i navigate without this info! :P

I think its 105 knots, but best be sure ;)

Thanks.

HelenD
12th May 2004, 21:16
I usually use 100kts, your best bet would be to check the POH as that will have the definitive answer.

Fly Stimulator
12th May 2004, 21:36
It's still around 100-ish knots according to the ASI whatever the wind conditions!

Genghis the Engineer
12th May 2004, 21:47
I get about 105kn with spats off, and about 115kn with spats on, at 75% power, mind you it's an unusually undented and shiny example, most others I've flown are 5-10kn slower.

There is a graph in the POH which will give you all the answers for different altitudes and power settings.

G

Chilli Monster
12th May 2004, 21:54
Spatted version, 1980 model, 600 hours on engine since overhaul:

102 Kts heavy, increasing to 105 once you've burned about a quarter of the fuel.

UV
12th May 2004, 22:38
I was just about to ask the same question but with a different slant.

1977 Model, 2700 hours very clean, no dents, 700 hours on the engine but fitted with a Knots2U kit, so ailerons, flaps and flap drives all sealed.

I get 108 knots IAS at 2400 rpm and 120 knots IAS at 2700 rpm. This with "tabs" fuel 2 up.

Can anybody tell me whether the kit makes a difference, as it was fitted when I bought the aircraft.

The reviews on their website seem to think it helps.

Any others with it fitted? Mines N Reg.

UV

Pilot16
12th May 2004, 23:42
Thanks for the replies.

I thought there wud be some deffinative answer!! neverthe less I think I will stick to 105 knots.

Does anyone else find this problem? >>> Getting hold of a POH is a pain in the neck...everytime, i end up being referred to Jeremy Pratt books, those are very useful I must say :O

Genghis the Engineer
13th May 2004, 10:33
If the operator of the aircraft is not making the POH (or a copy) available to pilots flying on command of the aircraft they are guilty of poor practice, and are probably breaking some regulation or other. Tell them that and demand access - or take your trade elsewhere and file a CHIRP report.

The POH is a vital safety document, it is totally unacceptable to withhold access to it.

Yes the Jeremy Pratt books are excellent, but there are things omitted from them that you need - such as spin recovery actions, emergency drills or best glide speed which I've never seen included in the AFE guides (and on the whole I'd class as essential information).

G

Pronto
13th May 2004, 11:08
For cruise speeds I expect between 95 and 100 KIAS but, as the thread shows, there's wide variation. The example I used to fly was kept outdoors so was generally rather mucky. So far as I can recall, it was a high hour example as well...

So far as the POH is concerned, this forms part of the Certificate of Airworthiness. If the hirer isn't prepared to let you see it, I'd go elsewhere, sharpish! Every club I've hired from has been willing to show me all the aircraft documentation. If you have a club who won't, start asking questions why not and what are they hiding!

As you'll recall, any aircraft that is hired out must be operated on a Public Transport Certificate. If the hirer won't show it to you, I'd start to suspect that all is not well and exit forthwith. After all, if it all goes wrong then it's you in the dock (as well as the hirer).

After all, you are the Commander and it's your responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is properly certified, maintained etc.

P

Pilot16
13th May 2004, 19:01
Thanks very much,

Im training at a well established training org. dont know how such allegations wud be taken ;)

I will ask again when I go flying !