PDA

View Full Version : 41 Year lay-off!

stiknruda
12th May 2004, 17:57
I have just landed after probably my last flight in my pristine rebuilt vintage taildragger, having sold it to a nice chap from the West Midlands. I rang him this morning and asked if I could borrow his aeroplane for a final flight, before he collects it at the weekend.

The reason that I wanted to use it again is because I popped out to the pub a couple of nights ago and started talking to Peter, an old chap who I often see in the neighbouring village.

We were chatting away about the state of the barmaid, the temperature of the Adnams, the noise emanating from the public bar, etc. I asked Peter what he did before he retired.

"Oh I was in the Air Force for a long time and then I had a few years in civvy street working for a market research company before I retired in the late 70's."

"What did you do in the Air Force?"

"I was just a pilot"

"When was the last time you flew ... anything?"

"Summer of 1963, I commanded an overseas Elementary Flight Training School, we had Harvards."

"So if I threw you into a light aircraft tomorrow, could you fly it?"

"Dear Chap, it's been over 40 years!", he took a long swallow on his pint and then, with a twinkle in his eye, said, "I'm well over eighty - you know, I'd be a bit bit rusty and I'd need a few circuits and bumps to get my eye back in but yes, I'm sure I can just about remember how to do it!"

"Okay, then, my house Wednesday 1630, we'll give it a go!"

"Wait - what sort of kite do you have? It will have to be a tailwheel job!"

Half past four today and Peter roars up my drive in his baby Benz.

We agreed a route, he was happy in the RHS (there are only brakes on the left). A comprehensive cockpit brief, prime, swing and I'm buckling in next to him. We taxied to the end of my little grass strip, I did the run up and checks. Quick 360 to make sure that there is no other traffic and I took off into quite a stiff cross-wind.

At 200", "You have control, turn onto our agreed heading and climb to 1 000 feet"

"I have control" - Peter turned the aeroplane and levelled off at 1 000'.

And that went on for an hour and five minutes - I wasn't required to touch anything or help with the navigation. After our trip we returned to my strip and Peter gently landed my little toy in quite a nasty cross wind.

I was pretty impressed - Aerbabe/Arclite have flown this particular aeroplane and although not hard to fly or land it does take some finesse. Within I guess the first 3 minutes when he stopped chasing the controls around the cockpit, he'd worked out
exactly how much to allow for adverse aileron yaw and the flight was smooth!

Wg Cdr Peter Cundy, DSO, DFC, AFC, TD you made my day!

So who will lend me something with 2 seats to let him take me to Project Propeller? And it does have to be a tailwheel kite and he wants to do some aeros with me!

Stik

FNG
12th May 2004, 18:02
Stik, you hero, PM or email me your hours etc and I'll see if I can get you insured as P1 for the Cap 10, which is going to be at Project Propeller, with Sqn Ldr Frank Wheeler DFC as my passenger. You might have to come and fly it with one of the instructor owners first, but if you do that I'll buy you lunch at Waltham.

Arclite01
12th May 2004, 20:11
and you probably made his.......

Hope you enjoyed your last trip in the yellow peril

I always did (and so did Mrs Arc,which is a rarity, oh and so did my Dad and the kids)

Many thanks

Arc

Keef
12th May 2004, 21:53
Is this the Pushpak? Looks like I didn't ask Stik soon enough :(

PPRuNe Towers
12th May 2004, 22:11
Stik,

You've made my day. Senior Eagles flights. Did it for my dad when he reached 80 touring his East Anglian bases when flying Stirlings with 149 squadron. Will never forget it.

rob

AerBabe
12th May 2004, 22:32
Ah Stik, what a lovely aeroplane that is. Thanks again for the chance to fly it. I bet your friend, Peter, loved it. It's got so much character & yet is a delight to fly. Wish I had lived closer to Norfolk!

DRJAD
13th May 2004, 11:09
What a splendid event!

I would love to have been there to see. Wish I'd had the chance to meet someone like that.

Marvellous.

FNG
13th May 2004, 11:13
Dr, you do have that chance: come to Project Propeller at North Weald on 3rd July. Better still, sign up to bring one of these heroic men with you in your aircraft.

yakker
13th May 2004, 12:31
stiknruda, well done.
I too have flown these veterans, and it is obvious they have the skill as soon as you say "you have".
I find it a great privilege to fly any of these veterans, and PP gives us all the chance. Sign up and we will see you at North Weald.

DRJAD
13th May 2004, 12:36
FNG, thanks for that!

I'll have a look at the Project Propeller website, and then see what aircraft hire is feasible.

tacpot
13th May 2004, 12:58
Keef (and Aerbabe, Stik & Arclite01)!

Don't worry you can still have a ride in my Pushpak :)

I'm a member of the group with the other one in the UK - I'm intrigued that Stik's has come to the West Midlands, as we are based near Tatenhill.

I'm still waiting for my instructor to say I'm safe to fly it solo, and have lots of training planned during June to ensure that he will!

tacpot

Paracab
14th May 2004, 02:15
stik,

What a wonderful story, good for you ! Sounds like you made each others day !

Regards,

PC

Arclite01
14th May 2004, 18:22
Tacpot

My in laws live in Uttoxeter and we visit occasionally......

If you want someone who is 'Pushpak friendly' in the other seat we can meet up some time over the summer I'm sure.

I think I have about 30'ish hours in the beast now........

4 Good primes, a swing and we're away !

Where exactly do you operate from ?

Arc

cessna l plate
15th May 2004, 17:27
What a heart warming story. Stories like this make you glad to be involved in aviation, and back up what I say to anyone that will listen, that the aviation community is, without exception, a NICE bunch of guys, that will help in any way.
Thanks