PDA

View Full Version : ATC Civillian Instructor

mazzy1026
12th May 2004, 12:29
In the next day or so I am going back to my old Air Training Corps squadron (1026 Ormskirk) to become a Civillian Instructor. At the age of 21 now, I left 4 years ago, getting 5 of the best years of my life.

I would be interested to hear if any Ppruner's out there who are becoming or who already are CI's for the ATC that could tell their stories or give me any advice.

Hope this is in the right thread - cheers all.

Maz :ok:

Another St Ivian
12th May 2004, 12:57
Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it. I'm not a CI myself, but you may get more feedback here;

http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/

ASI

eagerbeaver
12th May 2004, 16:13
how do you get a job with the ATC? i would be interested as i am near (ish) wyton?

Another St Ivian
12th May 2004, 17:08
Heh, if you did then you'd end up meeting me!

This would probably be a good start;
http://www.bedscambswingatc.org/Sectors/Northern/2331.htm

ASI

Bluejay
12th May 2004, 20:00
Hello all,

I am a AWO in the ATC (Sussex Wing) have been for the last 2 years or so and was a CI before that for about a year including probation, I love it, I really think that it is a worthwhile way to spend your time. The corps is great fun, you can do and see an awful lot of interesting stuff, plus you are volunteering a lot of your free time (a plus with most employers) to help keep kids of the street.

Anyway joining up works something like this:

Go along to your nearest Squadron and introduce yourself to CO, you will be interviewed by the CO (and possibly the a wing staff officer (Sqn Ldr normally))and then he/she will apply for your CRB paperwork and let you know when they have it.

Once all is completed and your CRB is successful then you will be required to complete a 3 month probationary period. Following the 3 months if you want to you can then apply for a uniformed post on the squadron this will be either as an Adult Sergeant (or higher if prev mil experience at FS or above) or as a Pilot Officer.

I hope this is some help, as an ex cadet you will know an awful lot anyway, I have been converted left school as a CCF(RAF) cadet and found my way to the ATC, best move I ever made.

Air Cadet web site is at www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/index.html

Good lck and have fun

Rgds

Bluejay

mazzy1026
12th May 2004, 21:02
Thanks guys for the response - I certainly agree with bluejay - joining the ATC for me when i wasn't even 13 was the best thing I ever did, and now I wanna give something back. Dont think I would want to go back into uniform, but just taking part in events and teaching the kids principles of flight will bring it all back for me!

Thanks again and may see you in the skies somewhere!

Lee