PDA

View Full Version : Euro digital maps ?

FullyFlapped
12th May 2004, 09:35
I frequently use Memory Map Navigator for plodding around VFR in the UK. Coupled with a pocket PC and a GPS unit, this becomes a cracking - and cheap - moving map solution, more so because they do digital versions of the CAA half- and quarter-mill charts, so what you see on the screen is a moving version of the map on your knee - great!

I'd love to extend this ability into Europe adventures, but can't find anyone who has digitised French, Spanish or Benelux maps in the same way (and who provides PC software to view them a la moving map). I've looked at FliteMap from Jeppesen, but does anyone know of any other alternatives ?

Thanks all,

FF:ok:

IO540
12th May 2004, 19:54
There are several American products for PDAs which can take the NMEA serial data stream from a bog standard GPS receiver and which will give you a moving map display over your own chart scans.

You provide your own scans (TIFF probably) of whatever chart you like; it involves digitising the chart in 2 or 3 places to give the software the position reference on the scan. That is basically what MemoryMap is, functionally speaking, though it comes with scanned CAA charts.

I don't have URLs (don't need yet another GPS :O ) but you can post a question in rec.aviation.misc, rec.aviation.piloting, etc. The rec.aviation.* newsgroups are 99% American and somebody will be sure to make suggestions.

One could make a very nice GPS with e.g. the Toshiba E800 which has a full VGA 640x480 display. The quality is stunning... much better than any "aviation" GPS, at any price.

This approach is distinct from products such as Anywheremap which come with maps that tend to be poor outside the USA.

Do let me know how you get on!

Boing_737
13th May 2004, 08:46
I've said it before, and I'll say it again (probably, nasty habit of repeating myself).... Take a look at pocketfms (http://www.pocketfms.com) Its an NMEA moving map GPS that runs on a PDA. You can run the program from a PC also to help with flight planning, and it will produce a PLOG for you (built in E6B equivalent). Basically they seem to have (colour) mapping and elevation data for most FIRs in the world. The only real pain in the bum is that you have to download the map data for each zoom level that you require (broadband required). However, its donationwear - apparently you get better detailed maps for a donation of 50 Euros and I think thats for life, they send you a serial number that you put in the software. It is in the process of being developed and is at version 0.9.49 Beta, but seems pretty solid to me at the moment.

The best thing is that you can try it out thoroughly first before shelling out the 50 Euros to see if it suits your needs.

I was considering the memory map option, but having to fork out 49 quid for new charts seems a bit steep to me compared to this.

Oh, yeah, and when you do a "direct to..." on this, you can specify avoiding certain types of airspace, so it'll route you around it automatically - which I think is a really cool feature.

dublinpilot
13th May 2004, 09:58
Boeing,

I too think pocketfms is brilliant. However haveing said that, it will not give FF a exact moving map replica of the paper map that he will have in his hand. If I understand FF correctly, that is what he is looking for.

dp

Fujiflyer
13th May 2004, 12:35
FullyFlapped, have a look at OziExplorer (havn't got the url to hand - I'm at work) but you should find it easily on a search.

You can scan in A4 or A3 overlapping sections of a chart, stitch them together (quite straightforward) to form the original chart. You then "calibrate" the image so that the coordinates are known all over the image surface. You can then have moving map, waypoint management, route planning etc.

PM me if you want more info,

Rgds

Fuji :ok:

englishal
13th May 2004, 14:16
You can get FAA digital charts of Europe from Aeroplanner which can be used with Ozi explorer and various others. Be aware, that they don't show all the airspace though, they're useful for noting you actual position, but not for airspace avoidance.You can also get all the waypoints for your GPS (Data chunks).

EA