PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS 3 Pilot

PA38
11th May 2004, 19:43
I have a little GPS 3 it's a great bit of kit, but I can't find any altitude function.
It will tel you when you bust a level, but I can't find any way of getting it to tell me my altitude above sea level.
Anyone know if this function exists?

Evo
11th May 2004, 20:29
I know where to find it on my non-pilot GPS III (I have a screen which gives me lots of numbers: speed, average speed, trip time, trip distance, current track ... and altitude). I'm not sure if the Pilot is the same or not though, never used one.

powerless
11th May 2004, 21:04
Go to the page you want to display the altitude on. Select Menu and then select change fields, Go to the entry where you want to display the altitude, press enter again and you get all the options you can display. You can then set it to display altitude.

Good luck

QDMQDMQDM
11th May 2004, 22:17
The altitude isn't as accurate as you'd like it to be, I'm afraid.

QDM

DRJAD
12th May 2004, 08:15
I have the altitude field selected on the moving map display on my GPSIII: selected exactly as powerless has described.

As QDM3 has said, don't rely on its relevance for flying purposes: I understand that it depends, for a start, on having all the needed satellites 'in view' (i.e. more than for non-altitude reporting use), and it gives altitude in reference to a datum which will not necessarily be the same as the datum in reference to which you are flying.

Essentially, in almost all cases, I give the unit to a passenger, for their information, with the proviso to pass it to me if I ask for it in a hurry for position cross-checking, but with the prior intent, on my part, only to use it for post-flight checking of routes flown. This is not because I inherently distrust GPS information (with suitable provisos): I do not. Rather, it is because of the 'fiddlyness' of using the GPSIII whilst engaged in aviating!