PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Break!

golf tango
11th May 2004, 15:31
This might seem like an unusual question, but it is a genuine one. I’m part way through my CPL, hoping to land an airline job at some point in the future. I have a bit of a problem though, I injured my groin several months ago during a game of hockey and for some mysterious reason, it has left me with a bit of a weak bladder, which means I have to go to the toilet every hour or so.

I’m getting a bit concerned that if this doesn’t rectify itself I’m onto a bit of a looser.
So the question is, what do you do when you have the urge whilst airborne? Are you able to escape off of the flight deck to the toilet?

Maxrev
11th May 2004, 16:36
Depends on the aircraft, and/or the route. I can only speak as a S/H driver but with sectors of only an hour or so, you can normally hang on until the other end, where you can have a slash during the turnaround or back at the crew room.

On long haul flights, there's usually not that much going on in the cruise so you disappearing off once an hour isn't going to be a problem, apart from maybe odd looks from the pax if the only loo is at the back.

But bear in mind the gymnastics required in something like a 737 to get into the damn seat in the first place you might want to consider skipping coffee. Once you've had the speedbrake lever and the odd thrust lever up your a** a few times you'll soon learn to drink too much!

chiglet
11th May 2004, 17:36
Had a "Diversion" at Manch [many] years ago. An Islander, from darnn Sarrff to Jockland lobbed in with the proverbial Old Lady dying for a pee. I believe that the landing and handling fee was around £150.....talk about "spending a penny"..:ok:
watp,iktch

Herod
11th May 2004, 21:11
Serious reply to a serious question. No problem really. The rule in the UK now is that, with the new locked door policy, if you leave the flight deck, one of the cabin crew has to "baby-sit" the remaining pilot. Just ask for one of them to come up and relieve you (no pun intended, but I'm sure that will get a response). Everybody has to go sometime.

Northern Highflyer
12th May 2004, 10:04
I always thought having a hostie relieve you on the flightdeck was one of the perks of the job ? :E :} :hmm:

On a more serious note, I assume that you have to join the queue of pax waiting for said cubicle which could mean being off the flightdeck and "vulnerable" for some considerable time.

Post 9/11 how do airlines view this, do they see it as a major risk ?

Oh for the days when the pilots would chat to the pax on the way to spending that penny and invite you up front for a look round. :{

Desert Nomad
12th May 2004, 10:57
From my experience it appears the guys up front wont come out unless the area is clear of PAX. Was coming back from JNB to DXB a couple of months ago, was standing up front stretching the legs and having a chat with the cabin crew. Next thing the interco goes and it's the captain "requesting" the PAX to go and sit down as he is a security risk!

Later on I was next in line for the WC when the cockpit door opens, the captain's head comes round, look of shock on his face that someone is there and then quickly slams the door.

It's a shame you can no longer stand and have a bit of a chat with the crew, where does the customer relationship side of things go to?

compressor stall
12th May 2004, 11:00
You can always use a gatorade or other wide mouth sports drink bottle.

Some aircraft (KingAir) actualy have relief tubes.

TopBunk
12th May 2004, 16:52
Herod

The rule in the UK now is that, with the new locked door policy, if you leave the flight deck, one of the cabin crew has to "baby-sit" the remaining pilot.
Maybe with your outfit, not at Big Airways, and the basic reason was that you had to get out of your seat to let the person back in. Our arrangement was that at the start, but we now have CCTV outside the flight deck, so that the other pilot can see the galley area and the person requesting access from their seat. Now we are free to come and go thanks to the camera - a much better situation all round, but still not as good as the old days.

Herod
13th May 2004, 09:01
Two questions TopBunk.

1. Why can't the cabin crew member who is "baby-sitting" let the other pilot back in.

2. What happens in the incapacitation scenario ?

We too have the cameras, and I agree it makes life much easier. However, with the door locked, we still have to have two people in the flight deck.

TopBunk
13th May 2004, 10:02
Herod

Why can't the cabin crew member who is "baby-sitting" let the other pilot back in.

There is only the one pilot on the flight deck, no cabin crew needed.

What happens in the incapacitation scenario ?

Forgive me for not going into details for obvious reasons, but there are procedures in place.

GlueBall
13th May 2004, 14:38
As a last resort, there are a variety of adult diapers available at many retail stores.

Notso Fantastic
13th May 2004, 15:16
Sorry to dampen the fun, but I think explaining security procedures is not to be advised. What has been said here is undermining those very procedures- let us not forget ourselves! I really think this thread should be removed.

cyyz
17th May 2004, 17:21
ROFL.. When we train the Jihadists, the first thing they learn is 7500..

Sorta defeats the purpose of said code if everyone knows about it...

fourplay
19th May 2004, 02:32
Knew it would not be long before someone suggested a plastic drink bottle.

I can just see an F/A reaching for it saying oh Tropicanna gatoraide, is that new?
Mind if I try it FO Cox...too late she has the lid off and takes a swig...FM this tastes like p***s

Story goes around the company for years...many a laugh is had at poor girls expense.
NB:They were married after 12 months.

Had to make it up to her some how! :yuk: :yuk:

FOUR REDS
19th May 2004, 09:03
In typical Pprune fashion we have moved somewhat away from the original question!

I made the mistake once of not answering the call of nature in the cruise. During the initial descent we were advised of CATII at destination with RVRs oscillating around minima. Needless to say I had no time after that and did the approach and landing bursting at the seems, which does not greatly improves ones performance. Can you imagine the scenario after a Missed Approach and/or diversion.

Moral of the story: with typical descents taking anywhere between 25-35 minutes, go just before TOD, whilst following all Company security SOPs indicated above.