PDA

View Full Version : Alert: new danger at North Weald

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 11:48
:O

They've just announced the new members of the operations team. :ok:

FNG
11th May 2004, 11:51
Congratulations, Aerbabe, when will this NOTAM become effective?

Are you practising your Estuary RT for stints in the Tower?

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 11:55
'When the paperwork has been completed'. Which, judging by the post-interview process, could be several weeks. Everyone get your trips in there quick, while it's still safe. :E

Whirlybird
11th May 2004, 12:02
CONGRATULATIONS Aerbabe!:D

Well, I'd decided to do much less prooning, but had to have one final look before a self-imposed semi-ban. Lucky I did, or I might never have known. So maybe, just maybe, I should look in here just...occasionally.....

Evo
11th May 2004, 12:04
So your tractor-driving was obviously good enough then ... and glad to see that, like me, your job keeps you far from academia and those hard-earned postgraduate skills :O

sharpshot
11th May 2004, 12:06
Do you need to apply to Disclosure Scotland for final approval or can anyone go airside!

rustle
11th May 2004, 12:06
Congratulations, AB :ok:

Saab Dastard
11th May 2004, 12:09
Great news, AB! :ok:

When are you taking the tractor driving lessons, then?

SD

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2004, 12:23
Jolly well done, couldn't have gone to a better candidate (well, clearly didn't, or they'd have got the job).

Look forward to flying in and hearing your dulcit tones on the RT sometime soon.

G

FNG
11th May 2004, 12:28
Is the mystery aero-toy going to live there too?

terryJones
11th May 2004, 12:30
Told you they would have you AB.
Pat says great too.
TJ

G SXTY
11th May 2004, 12:37
Well done AB!

Will we still be safe at Stapleford?:)

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 12:40
The bad news is that tractor-driving is no longer part of the job. However, when I asked the airfield manager about it during the interview, he said I could drive his if I was desperate.

FNG - No, the magical mystery aero toy is going to have to stay where it is, as I am well in the minority when it comes to location. At least I have the option of commuting to work by air though! :D

Lowtimer
11th May 2004, 12:45
Well done, AB, I shall now drive past you several times a month! and make an effort to rumble in by air from time to time also.:D

terryJones
11th May 2004, 12:50
"At least I have the option of commuting to work by air though!"
I suppose STAFF have a reduced landing fee:ok:

Flying Lawyer
11th May 2004, 13:08
Congratulations, A. :ok: Very pleased for you.

Tudor

(Told you not to worry. ;) )

Kolibear
11th May 2004, 14:38
Oh God, we're doomed now chaps.

just imagine it

K:- " North Weald tower, this is G-XXXX, request taxi, local east"

Tower (aka AB) "G-XX, Kolibear? How many tickets did you buy at the last Gatbash?? Hold position break Is that you Rallye Driver in the Bulldog ? Just hang on a minute there while I tell barshaker to go back into the Naafi, He's not going anywhere for a while. Oh, and UV, don't bother to start up either. You at the back, pay attention, yes, you, the shiny taildragger with the blue prop, the Mustang, yes you are cleared right down to the hold. Correction, hold at the hold, I'll be down there in a minute. Everyone else - standby......................."

Well done Aerbabe, look forward to seeing you at NW, Congratulations, you owe me a bacon sarnie!!" :O

pulse1
11th May 2004, 14:45
I'm sure I remember AB promising reduced landing fees to Ppruners if she got the job.

Well done AB. See, things do turn out in the end. A career in aviation beckons. Much better than playing with little bugs.

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 14:56
At the risk of sounding like the winner at an awards ceremony:

Thank you for the kind words, most of you. :p
Particular thanks to Lowtimer, for your support and encouragement, and for keeping my spirits up.
Also to Koliber & Mrs K for somewhere to stay the night before the interview, and filling me in on all the goings on and gossip at NW. (Although I don't remember mentioning a bacon sarnie. :hmm: )

When's the first fly-in then? :}

Rallye Driver
11th May 2004, 15:05
It's a little do called the Aerofair at the end of next week. Very low key - only a few visiting aircraft. Just the thing to get you started in your new career! :E

Well done.

RD :ok:

BRL
11th May 2004, 15:19
Congratulations AB :ok: Something to smile about at last :)

Danza
11th May 2004, 16:43
Congratulations AB, :) Fantastic News!

singaporegirl
11th May 2004, 17:15
Well done, AerBabe. With all these Ppruners popping in, I'm sure there will be lots of new primitive life forms for you to study there. ;)

Brooklands
11th May 2004, 17:28
AB,

Well done. Sounds like a good reason to visit NW in the near future. When do you start work there?

Brooklands

PS At the risk of sounding like the winner at an awards ceremony:
No way: not enough :{ :{ :{

:O

bar shaker
11th May 2004, 18:29
Fantastic news AB :D:D:D

See you soon then.:)

BS

pilotwolf
11th May 2004, 19:03
Well Done!!!!

:O :ok:

Guern
11th May 2004, 19:14
Very well done. Have fun. :D :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
11th May 2004, 19:24
Well done AB,

Enjoy!

FD

Keef
11th May 2004, 19:24
So when's the PPRuNe fly-in, then?

I might bring the trusty G-UTSY - but it has to be not-a-Sunday and not when I'm away...

BRL
11th May 2004, 19:27
Great idea Keef, now if someone would like to suggest a date then we can start a thread on it. Any takers..???? :) :ok:

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 20:33
Great idea Keef Huh? It was my idea!!! :{

Thing is, I dunno if it's best to have you all there when I'm working, so I can keep an eye on you, or not, so I don't have to. :} Will have to be some time after LowNSlow's fly-in, otherwise I won't be around.

Rallye Driver - I'm not going to start soon enough to get a free ticket to the Aerofair. :( You'll have to put up with Vintage ATCO on the radio instead.

Oooh, I'm so excited!!! :cool:

Rallye Driver
11th May 2004, 21:51
Remember: what you've got to say is "Roger" when this sort of thing is happening on 02!

http://img54.photobucket.com/albums/v165/YakRider/5-Ship_line_640.jpg

http://img54.photobucket.com/albums/v165/YakRider/Barrel_Roll640.jpg

http://img54.photobucket.com/albums/v165/YakRider/4-Ship_over_trees640.jpg

YR :E

Kolibear
12th May 2004, 11:32
The next Squadron Fly-in at N-W is 19th/20th June.

AB will either be on the air, or on the gate??

AerBabe
12th May 2004, 11:35
If the council sees this thread before the offer is signed... I could be neither. :{

FNG
12th May 2004, 11:39
Let's join the Squadron Fly-In. I shall drive but, as long as Aerbabe doesn't throw me out for speeding on the peri track, I can offer Bulldog flits if the hound is available and not broken.

Kingy
12th May 2004, 12:29
Ms Babe,

That is really great news, congrats and very well done!

I'll be 'dropping in' hope you accept non/dodgy/broken radio!

Best

Kingy

Maxflyer
12th May 2004, 12:30
Planning to visit on Friday. Does Gary Newman still keep a Harvard there?

LowNSlow
12th May 2004, 12:58
Congratulations AerBabe I'll have to pop in when I'm home next.

Hersham Boy
12th May 2004, 13:01
Wow- you've got a JOB!

Well done. I'll get North Weald into the GPS pronto. Be nice to any dodgy sounding C152s in the area...

Hersh

PPRuNe Radar
12th May 2004, 16:06
Well done AB !!!

So, becoming a council worker then ?? Should be in post just in time for a strike probably then ;)

Good luck seriously :)

Genghis the Engineer
12th May 2004, 16:21
I'm sure that you've all thought of it, but just in case.

I've no doubt that AB really wanted this job, and wants to look as good as possible to those who matter (her bosses at EGSX). So for goodness sake don't go dropping in en-mass begging for cheap landing fees and queering her promotion prospects.

You can always drop in on her (and I) and beg a go in our new toy "somewhere near Popham" instead !

Anyhow, according to my office Pooleys, landing fees are free at North Weald anyway.

G

Lost_luggage34
12th May 2004, 16:33
Congrats AB ! Excellent result !

Flyin'Dutch'
12th May 2004, 16:35
G,

You can always drop in on her (and I) and beg a go in our new toy "somewhere near Popham" instead !

Wot new toy is this then? Obviously must have been asleep in the back of the class (again!)

FD

Genghis the Engineer
12th May 2004, 16:40
Small, light, slow, 2-seats, smallest wheel at the back, appauling glide ratio, should get it's permit tomorrow, and either Aerbabe or I (or most likely both) should be bringing it to Low'N'Slow's July fly-in.

Being set up as a 12 way syndicate on the basis of "how cheap can we make flying". Current answer being £15/mth, £7/hr dry and there's one share still (I think) going for £500. Club membership at the home airfield of £50pa. So that works out at about £25/hr all in for 4 hours per month.

Also to be fair, very ugly, but you can't have everything. And Kingy wouldn't like it, it's a microlight. On the other hand, we start with 122 hours total on the airframe (that won't last!).

G

Flyin'Dutch'
12th May 2004, 16:55
Look forward to seeing pictures of it or in the flesh!

FD

AerBabe
12th May 2004, 16:56
Genghis - That was probably enough clues that some people might be able to guess! And you're wrong about Kingy, when I told him what it was he said "Great, it will make my aircraft look pretty". :{

Evo
12th May 2004, 17:07
Is it one of those things wot Antony Woodward flies then?

FNG
12th May 2004, 17:42
I was going to guess a Foxbat, but unless I'm confusing that with something else, that is not that ugly, and I'm not sure it counts as a microlight. What was that Cub-a-like that Genghis was testing a while back?

Edit: I'm not thinking of a Foxbat, as isn't that a nose pusher? Too addled by work to think of what I'm thinking of.

Edit again: An Easy Raider? Not especially ugly?

rustle
12th May 2004, 17:48
Evo

Is that for real or did you buy it?

...and does that mean an end to any references to Solent Zone crossings in Private Flying? :O

FNG
12th May 2004, 17:51
Evo has been specifically tasked by the OKW pprunerfuehrerbund with stopping me from being rude to IO540

Evo
12th May 2004, 17:53
Is that for real or did you buy it?

I would hope that I could have come up with something more humourous. It's punishment for sins committed in a past life, I think :O

...and does that mean an end to any references to Solent Zone crossings in Private Flying?

Hell no, although if you wanted to quietly forget about it I wouldn't mind so much ;)

rustle
12th May 2004, 17:56
Holy PC, Batboy - I just discovered where you "moderate"

There goes that forum as a source of amusement ;) :{

FNG, but who moderates the moderators? (Been perplexing mankind for ages(about 3 days, actually) that one

Evo
12th May 2004, 18:00
Watch it, or i'll find out what "thread ban this user" does...
:rolleyes:

(knew I should have created a PPRuNe alter-ego, but it would be about three minutes before I posted under the wrong one :O )

FNG
12th May 2004, 18:06
Leave that t***er Saint Paul out of this, or I'll get Latinate on your ass.

How about some name suggestions for Evo's moderator alter-ego. Spod1? Geeklord the Mighty? Nerd Guy in the basement eating stale doritos and drinking yesterday's coffee?

AerBabe
13th May 2004, 12:04
Hmm... yes... if you could all avoid dropping in to say hello during my first week, I would be grateful. I'll give y'as all a shout when I'm settled in & we'll arrange a fly-in.

My colleagues in my current job are all now trying to change their summer holiday flights departing from Standsted and Luton. For some reason they think that area of airspace might be dangerous now. :confused:

Kolibear
13th May 2004, 12:08
Actually Genghis, its not free landings at North Weald, its £7.50. If you are a member of The Squadron, then they are free.

Landing fees are paid at The Squadron, but Aerbabe will be over in the Tower which is the other side of the runway, so all we can do is wave.

LowNSlow
14th May 2004, 03:49
So you're going to park the Wunderplane next to Kingy's Flagellator Sky Scooter eh. Hope they don't breed!!!

Evo
14th May 2004, 06:09
"Small, light, slow, 2-seats, smallest wheel at the back, appauling glide ratio ... very ugly ... and Kingy wouldn't like it, it's a microlight"

Still think it's one of these

http://www.esa.int/export/images/figure4400.jpg

but you could modify it a bit for the journey to Sandown

http://www.thruster.co.uk/floats2.jpg

does it take off, or is it like that the whole way? :suspect:

Note to self. "thruster microlight" is a sensible search. "thruster" isn't :yuk:

Genghis the Engineer
14th May 2004, 06:45
It's not the posh version with spats and a composite prop like the top picture.

You've also, I think Evo, put your finger on why so many of our club Emails keep getting stopped by spam filters.

G

FNG
14th May 2004, 06:57
Ah ha, after that ingfringement of the corporate internet naughtiness policy, it appears that Evo's new Moderator name should be PErvo

AerBabe
14th May 2004, 08:50
The secret is out!
When I set up the standing order, because of the letter limit, it will appear on my statement as "[Airfield] Thrust" :oh: Gave the woman in the bank a giggle. :D

Lowtimer
14th May 2004, 09:55
AB,
I was going to suggest that you adopt the colloquial name that Mr Woodward's instructor used to use for the type. But then I thought better of it
:-)

PPRuNe Radar
14th May 2004, 10:44
What kind of aircraft will it be when it grows up ?? :) :p

Live and let live though, it no doubt gives cheap fun flying which is exactly the way it should be .... for us all :ok:

flapsforty
19th May 2004, 07:00
Aerbabe, just found this thread so allow me to briefly interrupt all this talk of flying matchboxes and cheap fun to tell you how immensely chuffed I am for you!!

This airfield doesn't know how lucky it is. :ok:

Snigs
19th May 2004, 07:43
May I add my (belated) congrats to you AB. Nice to hear that you'll be working for a living and not sponging off us tax-payers!! ;)

Unfortunately NW is a little too far for a Nav Ex. with my students, I'll just have to pop in and wave on my own. :ok:

J.A.F.O.
19th Dec 2004, 22:13
If Snigs thought that his congrats were a little late, how about this?

I only managed to pop in last Friday for the very first time, I love The Squadron - it's nice to see that's it's still 1953 somewhere.

Didn't meet AB but may have heard her dulcit tones on departure.

I must pop in again soon and stay for a little longer.

So, how's it going AB?

gooneydog
19th Dec 2004, 23:47
Congrats from the far west too !! Social life must be OK too I never hear from ya anymore !!!!:O

AerBabe
20th Dec 2004, 07:40
Ah yes, JAFO, that would have been me. Until New Year, I'm still the only female doing the a/g radio. I hope I wasn't rude. ;) I think I remember you ... it was a very very quiet day.

The job is good fun, although it's very much quieter now we're into winter. It's nice to feel more integrated into the flying community and know that I am beginning to understand how it all works. The tenants are great as well; really friendly and helpful. Thanks to those involved in giving me the job. :ok:

G'Dog - I haven't seen you online for ages. :sad: Hopefully we'll catch up before Christmas...

J.A.F.O.
20th Dec 2004, 15:45
I'm not surprised it was a quiet day, it was lousy weather, hence our visit to North Weald which wasn't planned when we left base.

In fact we were the only aircraft moving on the airfield in all the time we were there.