PDA

View Full Version : Staying around Pointe-Claire

Tonic Please
11th May 2004, 10:34
Hi. Finally off to Canada again this year. Montreal this time. Im thinking about doing a little bit of flying out there to really use up my 2 weeks worth. Im seeing friends too. Can anyone tell me of the nearest airport to Pointe-Claire, and how much it is for a small Cessna? I have a Canadian license, 100 hours, and I last flew this March. Procedure to have a plane for an hour?

Second, not flying related but hopefully possible to help...I have found accomodation to the West of Pointe-Claire, and speaking to my friend, she said that its quite a little way along the river. its in Baie D'urfe. Shes in P-C. The rate I got was 22 bucks a night. Now that is INCREDIBLE. But, if I can get a little closer to her ( :ok: :E ) and also to a local airfield, it would be great. The place I found is a BnB. I dont really want a hotel as they are expensive, so I am just looking for B and Bs. If no one knows of any, then this Baie D'urfe place is fine she said on the phone, just could be a little closer by a mile or 2.

Thanks for the help, in advanced (if I get any)

Smooth skies,
Dan :cool:

cpotter
12th May 2004, 12:38
Hello

I live in Pointe Claire. The airport closest to you is Pierre Elliott Trudeau. There is a few schools there that will do rental as well. Not sure of the cost as I haven't rented in a long time.

There are some B and Bs in Beaconsfield. Probably you could find them on the net at a travel Quebec site.

Have a great stay.

Panama Jack
12th May 2004, 12:53
There are a few other airports in the surrounding area, which can be better as far as no jet traffic like at YUL. St. Hubert is one to come to mind (it is on the other side of the river, to the south).

There also is a small field and flying school to the West of Montreal, as you drive to Toronto. . . I can't remember the operator nor the name of the airport. :confused:

pigboat
12th May 2004, 13:17
Laurentide Aviation (www.laurentideaviation.com/) at Cedars airport. It's off the island of Montreal down towards Valleyfield. If ya don't have wheels, the commuter train from the Pointe Claire or Dorval station to Valleyfield is probably the least expensive way to get there.

IHL
12th May 2004, 13:21
Panama Jack, I think the airport you're referring to is Les Cedres
(CSS3). There appears to be a lot of light aeroplane activity.

Panama Jack
14th May 2004, 10:54
There you go. I knew it was the name of one tree or another.

Tonic Please
16th May 2004, 18:03
Great. Thanks for those links and informations.

I have done countless searches on B and Bs in P-C and Beaconsfield. I just cant find anything else. My friend was saying that its not really that far away, just could be about 10 minutes closer. I suggested I stay in her closet, in her room. She agreed, but then said her dog might smell me out :}

Anyway. Lets hope the parents go away eh :E

Ill email some local airfields and ask them what the procedure would be. Do you think I'll have to do another check-ride? Guess I would have to.

Dan :uhoh:

ICT_SLB
26th May 2004, 05:18
Tonic,
The island of Montreal has excellent public transport for which you can get prepaid tickets and/or passes (Route 211 goes through Baie d'Urfe on its way from St. Anne to Downtown Montreal (via Pointe Claire & Dorval) if memory serves. There is also a rail link that runs along the St. Lawrence.

Les Cedres field is just north of Autoroute 40 but I'm not sure of the state of public transport out there. There was a local 'on demand' local bus service in the area (based on the Vaudreil rail station) but I don't know if it's still running. Try a search on "Vaudreil - Soulanges" (the equivalent of a county) on yahoo.ca.

There is also private flying from a grass strip at Ste. Lazare a few km NW of Les Cedres but I'm not sure if they do rentals.

Panama Jack
26th May 2004, 11:13
Do you think I'll have to do another check-ride? Guess I would have to.

C'mon now, seriously? Would you honestly rent an airplane (for solo) to a complete stranger who shoes up one morning at your office doorstep with a validated license from a foreign country without AT LEAST charging around the traffic pattern with him a few times? Nevermind even if the insurance company WOULD allow it.