PDA

View Full Version : Summer of Flying

NinjaBill
11th May 2004, 09:57
Following on from an earlier 'what would you like to do this year', I thought I'd start a 'What would you like to achieve (flying related) this summer?

After passing my PPL earlier this year, I'd like to.....

Fly in a pitts special, or some other high performance aeros machine

Fly somewhere where I have to fly over water to get there (I'm including the isle of white in this, since FNG is giving me a lift there)

Try and do at least 20 hrs before the weather starts to get rubbish again in October.

Be able to do a four point roll without loads of adverse yaw when rolling to level.

Its quite a big list, so if i manage 50% of my list, im probably doing quite well.

So everyone, what do you hope to do this summer?

Regards

NB

FNG
11th May 2004, 10:17
Bill, as you know, the Bulldog hardly counts, these days, as high performance aerobatical, but if you come south again in the summer you can have a go in the Cap 10, which ain't a Pitts or an Extra, but is pretty feisty nonetheless. Crossing the Solent hardly counts as a water crossing, but I'll bring the lifejackets as well as the parachutes if you like.

NinjaBill
11th May 2004, 10:34
I did my skills test in the cap10 from sherburn, and would quite like to fly it down to meet you, but its lack of Instrumentation, other than a basic compass, ASI, turn and slip and altimeter, means I would probably get hopelessly lost in the process.

As for crossing over the water, of course the isle of white counts, otherwise id have to go to france instead, and thats full of french people ;)

FNG
11th May 2004, 10:40
What, no DI? Still, even with just a wibbly-wobbly compass and a watch, you ought to be OK, especially if recently trained and up to speed on DR. Otherwise, buy or borrow a GPS. Ouch, too many acronyms.

AerBabe
11th May 2004, 10:43
Realistically?

I would really like to do a mountain flying course in the Canadian Rockies next month.

I will be doing a conversion into my new toy... ;)

I WILL solo the Chipmunk!!! I will... :ugh:

And... if I can afford it, I want to do some more aeros flying with Cas Smith - maybe 10 hours or so in the Cap10.

DRJAD
11th May 2004, 11:01
I think I'll be content with keeping my currency going ... and making a start on an IR.

wingandaprayer
11th May 2004, 11:47
Not in any particular order :-

1. Win big on the lottery so I can fly when ever and where ever I want.

2. Fly when ever and where ever I can (Wife & finances permitting)

3. Start IMC.

4. Fly a Stearman. (If it was a woman I'd marry it!)
Anyone know if Manston still has one ? Or anywhere else ?

FNG
11th May 2004, 11:53
A certain actor who tries in vain to live down his days of running about in tight flares and bubble perm and shooting people has one at Old Buckenham, although I am not sure if it is rented out.

Edit: it is:-

http://www.touchdownaerocentre.co.uk/html/the_stearman.html

BeauMan
11th May 2004, 11:57
My original plan was to complete my PPL, spend a few hours consolidating what I've learned, and then go and do the Cub course down at Clacton.

BUT! It's looking like I'm off to Belgium with work for a few years, so Plan B will probably be to complete my PPL, and then start chugging around Flanders. Anyone know of any good flying clubs in the Brussels area...?

Longer term goals are the floatplane rating in Alaska, Chipmunk conversion, and eventually buy into a Chipmunk group. Then ATPL distance learning, FI rating.... Hey, gotta have dreams, haven't we? :ok:

High Wing Drifter
11th May 2004, 12:03
Hmm,

Finish me ATPLs
Finish my IMC
Do the CPL

Now that I am feeling sufficiently confident (and competant!):
Fly to Scotland
Fly to Caenarfon (sp?)
Fly to the Channel Is

Now that the little'un is a bit older, load the plane up and take the wife and kids out for a weekend away - probably Cornwall (any recommendations?)

Prey that the Star Annual is a good 'un.

sharpshot
11th May 2004, 12:24
High Wing Drifter

Don't count on landing at Caernarfon even if the Metar gives all the 9's and CAVOK when you get airborne....it can go pear shaped up there quite quickly at anytime.

However, well worth it when it stays fine.

mazzy1026
11th May 2004, 12:46
Feeling somewhat small and puney whilst writing in this thread my goal for this year is as follows:

- Start the PPL and hopefully (money permitting) finish!

Hope you all achieve your goals.

Maz

Chilli Monster
11th May 2004, 13:03
Already done it - CPL/IR (Multi) just over 3 weeks ago :)

hangar
11th May 2004, 13:06
umm summer plans

1st get a sun tan (but i live in ireland so that not gonna happen)

2nd start my atlp's and by the end of the summer have the first set ready for examination

3rd fly a cross-country over 300nm long

4th land at campbeltown (just fancie landing on a realllyyy long runway)

all wx permitting that is!!
:ok:

hey congrats Chilli Monster :)

Tall_guy_in_a_152
11th May 2004, 13:32
Last year was supposed to be the 'fly to new places' year but I failed dismally, so rather than repeat that I am having a 'fly new types' year.

I started a tailwheel conversion in Feb, but that is now on hold because the SuperCub is unwell. A couple of weeks ago I flew a Katana DA20 - my first variable pitch prop. Efforts to take it solo have so far been thwarted by the weather. On the agenda for later in the year are the DA40 and Cessna 172. And of course to finish the tailwheel conversion.

Meanwhile, I am also on the lookout for a share to buy at Redhill or Shoreham.

At the end of the year I will be in Sydney and am planning to fly around the harbour and further afield.

TG.

Monocock
11th May 2004, 14:48
As far as I'm concerned, as long as I emerge out of the summer unscathed, i'll be happy!!

(And that's NOT a reflection of how I consider my flying either!!)

These days, the weekends are becoming little short of lethal when the sun shines. Perhaps I should sell my house and put TCAS in the Luscombe.....hmmm:hmm:

sharpshot
11th May 2004, 14:59
TCAS is so nice to have, but just remember you see nothing if the other guy has no Xponder on.

I just got airborne in the climb out of the circuit the other weekend in the clag and it howled "Traffic" at me.....it's something to look at the screen and know which way to go:ok:

Penguina
11th May 2004, 16:51
Yeah, and TCAS won't help you when you are trying to land on Elstree's 26 with at least 2 others trying to land practically simultaneously and the world and his dog shouting '4 miles' or 'tall building' as has already happened to me once this season. At least my passenger seemed to enjoy it... or maybe he was laughing at the expressions on my face. Something like:
:confused: :eek: :mad: :mad: :eek: ( 'Going around.' 'Remain outside the M25.') :{

For me... keep building that confidence really, get a north of England chart and see what colour it is. And start my ATPLs I reckon. Yes, almost certainly. Every day at this desk makes me more certain!

:ugh:

Gertrude the Wombat
11th May 2004, 17:07
'What would you like to achieve (flying related) this summer? With the weather we've had so far this year then "staying current" would be quite ambitious enough.

IO540
11th May 2004, 17:23
TCAS is a waste of £25k at present. When transponders are mandatory on most things powered, it will be a different matter, but presently the clear majority of people either don't have them, or have them and don't use them.

FNG
11th May 2004, 17:50
Penguina, are Elstree still "instructing" people to remain north of the M25? Serious question.

PS: the north of England chart is the colour of lard and is printed on pig bladders. The VRPs are all called "t'mill" or "t'big 'ouse on t'ill" and so forth.

Charlie Zulu
11th May 2004, 18:09
The plan for this years worth of flying?

Well I've flown around twenty hours this year already in a new Piper Warrior and other aeroplanes but only half an hour in the groups Beagle Pup. (Its been on maintenance for a few months!)

Anyway my plan is:

Obtain a Multi Engine Rating. This will be added to both my FAA CPL/IR and my CAA PPL/IMC/NIGHT. I'm going to Naples, Florida to do these courses - I'll be there in seven weeks time, can't wait!

When I get home a friend is putting me on his Seminole insurance and giving me a checkout so I'll have a nice multi aeroplane to fly!!!

Get the Beagle Pup back (probably before the USA trip) and do some flying!

Going to Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and a few destinations in Ireland (definately Dublin as I have friends who live ten minute walk from the temple bar area... heehehe). Oh these will be in the twin as I don't like going over water in a single... I have been known to do it though.

Take and hopefully pass all 7 module 1 ATPL exams in October's sitting (fingers crossed). This requires anothe trip to Naples for a couple of weeks for the brush up course.... ooh what a hard life this is! :O

Oh and one last thing to do this year (in eight weeks time)... to fly over to the Bahamas for a couple of nights (in an Arrow probably). Hopefully the Multi rating will only take a week thus giving me a week spare to do some pleasure flying. I know the arrow is a single and there is lots of water but I probably won't have enough multi hours by then to rent the seminole solo in Florida.

Anyway I've got to go as I've got to get back to the "Forces in a turn" section of the performance manual... :confused:

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Flyin'Dutch'
11th May 2004, 19:35
Flash git!

;) ;) ;) ;)

FD

Have fun and keep us posted!

Chilli Monster
11th May 2004, 19:40
When I get home a friend is putting me on his Seminole insurance and giving me a checkout so I'll have a nice multi aeroplane to fly!!!

And that would be? ;)

High Wing Drifter
11th May 2004, 19:59
PS: the north of England chart is the colour of lard and is printed on pig bladders. The VRPs are all called "t'mill" or "t'big 'ouse on t'ill" and so forth.
That and a distinct lack of airfields! Spent almost 10 minutes look for one on mine :}

TonyR
11th May 2004, 20:01
I think I'll do some more flying in the Rallye this year (did not fly it much last year), and a week camping in Scotland at some very small airstrips and a few farmer's fields.

On my own without a cell phone.

Tony

FNG
12th May 2004, 08:40
My northern chums tell me that

"Airfields is for soft southerners. We lands us crates on t'rugby league pitch, 'appen".

Dop
12th May 2004, 10:17
What I want to achieve this summer is passing those four exams and passing my skills test!
(I've been at this so long my Air Law expired and I need to do that again, and I've done Aircraft General twice and narrowly failed each time).

Northern Highflyer
12th May 2004, 10:45
Hopefully I will :

Complete my ATPL exams

Complete IMC (nearly there)

Do a 300 NM trip - probably to Scotland (I would head South but can't find a rugby league pitch to land on :} )

Complete the CPL/ME

Here's hoping !

Aussie Andy
12th May 2004, 11:35
Islands, Islands, Islands!

I have decided I like flying to/from and near to islands... ever since that first jaunt over to IoW I have loved the feeling of arriving somewhere that "mere mortals" couldn't have gotten to in the same time and without houyrse of driving, ferries etc. Islands are picturesque and easy to navigate too! The downsides are coastal weather and - on smaller islands - sometimes scary at worst, or unhelpful at best, cross winds: but I think this just adds to the fun :ok:

Last year we flew along the Dutch / German Fresian chain of islands. It was great. On the list this year are all three channel islands, because I am starting to feel like the only PPL in southern England who hasn't been there(!), and maybe - just maybe - Ile d'Yeu, LFEY, just north of La Rochelle where friends have a holiday house... :O

Oh, and do the IMC: this time for sure!

Have a great summer everyone!

Andy

boomerangben
12th May 2004, 12:16
Love islands - but I'm biased because I am based on.

Isle of Wight seems a little unadventurous. Why not try some of the Scottish Isles? Spectacular views, uncluttered airspace and friendly welcome.

Penguina
12th May 2004, 12:29
FNG

are Elstree still "instructing" people to remain north of the M25? Serious question

Serious answer, yes they are, excpet when it's very quiet and/or it's nearly night, when I have known them to take pity. Only safe place to be at 5pm on a Saturday, come to think of it (ref. my earlier post).

Gosh, the North of England Chart sounds awfully intriguing. I don't wish to be a bother to anyone, but would they be so terribly kind to supply me with a vegetarian chart if such a thing exists?
Much obliged,
Southern Pansy Bird in't daft penguin suit.

NinjaBill
12th May 2004, 12:42
AirBabe,

Cas Smith has moved from sherburn to a grass airfield nearby called full sutton, unfortunately, the cap 10 didnt move with him, but there is a firefly (fast ex mil one) and a pitts s2a available for aeros training there.

The pitts is £199/hr dual, which seems to be not much more that the going rate for a cap10 down south

NB

Aussie Andy
12th May 2004, 12:42
boomerangben:Isle of Wight seems a little unadventurous. Why not try some of the Scottish Isles? IoW is not what I am proposing for something new... have been there many times, and will continue to do so, esp Bembridge... the plan is CI's and some French Atlantic coast islands. Definitely keen on the Scottish islands - and Ireland of course - probably next year, when I have my IMC..!

Penguina: I think what FNG may be driving at is the significance of the word instructing, given that Elstree is not an ATC unit but an AFIS servcie...

Andy

FNG
12th May 2004, 12:58
That was indeed my point Andy. I haven't been to Elstree for well over a year, but was under the impression that they had received, ahem, "guidance" about the meaning and limits of a Flight Information Service (with perhaps a reminder of the right-hand traffic rule in the open FIR). I wouldn't call being north of the M25 but heading east (ie "downwind" for 26, but outside the ATZ) particularly safe.

PS: I do appreciate that Elstree has a severe nimby problem. I was once accused of performing aerobatics at five hundred feet, in the days when they still had a circuit (this was whilst chugging downwind in that noted low-level aeros beast, the Pup 100, and a very clapped-out one at that). All credit to the FISO, who backed me up.

FNG
13th May 2004, 06:51
Penguina, I believe that you tried to PM me yesterday but it bounced back. I have cleared out my inbox, if you would like to try again . Or try my email address, which I have sent to you by PM. Thanks.

Penguina
13th May 2004, 13:30
I think what FNG may be driving at is the significance of the word instructing, given that Elstree is not an ATC unit but an AFIS servcie

Yes, I understand that. It's a regularly voiced argument here and I agree with it. The rest of my post was a bit of a sarcastic aside and didn't imply that I sympathise with the way things are run there.

FNG - reading you 5 now!

MikeeB
1st Jun 2004, 18:18
Well I've started my Aero's training at Full Sutton (see a little bit further up the page). Hope to reach a standard such that I can enter a competition later this year.

I believe myself and NijaBill are both going for "last" ;)

They have two fireflys now. The Pitts S2A is drawing me in.... but that might have to wait until next year. As always dependant on funds.