PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your flying time?

Daysleeper
11th May 2004, 08:10
Daysleeper is getting bored trundling around in Mr Boeings finest. So I am considering buying a share. I've seen a very nice brand new 2 seater but to justify the capital costs (around 10k but really low hourly rate) I would have to be doing around 75 - 100 hours a year. So the question is what to people do with their flying time. Other than boring round in circles over my house and making me green with envy.:cool: Otherwise should I abandon this as a bad idea and just keep renting club aircraft at vast hourly rates.
Suggestions please.

IO540
11th May 2004, 08:24
At the risk of starting another controversy (flying for fun v. flying to go places) it is clear that a lot of people give up unless they find a clear objective - just chucking £100/hr at flying the same old route on sunny days will cease to be fun for most, eventually.

So, why not plan long trips to interesting places which you can't drive to? France/Spain are a good start and, assuming you have some means of good navigation, are pretty easy. The scenery in Spain in particular is spectacular.

That's what I do, 150-200hrs/year and nowhere near getting bored. But I would never do it in the typical rental spamcan, even if I could get one which has the access.

FNG
11th May 2004, 08:33
That is a good idea, but, depending on what floats your boat, so is this:-

http://www.deltaweb.co.uk/lac/videos/

(video, requires RealPlayer)

KCDW
11th May 2004, 21:46
Some ideas for you,

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum (just enough hours IMHO at c 25-30 per year). Philosophy, however is the same as IO540. Do different, interesting, slightly challenging stuff.

Best way I have found is to to plan rather than decide on a whim. I have kept to it over the past 2 years.

Skills:

Last year - IMC (yes I know you're past that)

This year - Taildragger course on a SuperCub

Hopefully this summer - Moths

Next year - possibly basic aeros

Places:

Try to fly on hols and when working abroad (US and Portugal last year).

Can't justify my own a/c yet, but still manage fewer, but longer half day or day long trips:

Last year - L2K with family - meal, beach - great

This year - Duxford and it's museums - a challenge in IMC as I found out.

Hopefully this summer - IOW

Next year - a Channel Island - possibly Guernsey or Jersey

Within next five years:

- buy into a Jodel group or similar

- French vineyards

- visit Ma in Alicante

- complex rating (only if I'm earning bigger bucks)

- mountain flying course

- Alps? New Zealand?

And when the weather is just right. Go VFR on top and skim those cumulus...

Enjoy