PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 430 help!

Speedbird744
8th May 2004, 16:44
Can anyone tell me how I can pre-programme a flight plan and route into this GPS and have the autopilot fly it for me?

I haven't any books on this subject, are there any websites?
Thanks
Speedbird

Charlie Zulu
8th May 2004, 16:49
Hi Speedbird,

Not sure how useful this will be but there is a sample training sylabus for the 430 at the following location:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/288_SampleTrainingSyllabus.pdf

There is also a free simulator available from the Garmin website for the 430:

http://www.garmin.com/software/simulators/TRAIN430.EXE

Again not sure how useful, but you never know!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Timothy
8th May 2004, 17:31
SB744

The answer is "yes", but it'd be a helluva long post. PM me if you want to have a chat on the phone.

Timothy

sharpshot
8th May 2004, 17:35
You don't ask for much 744,
I haven't got time now for the F/pl part, but oce that's in and activated, Press the CDI button so GPS - not VOR/loc is illuminated above and the a/p will follow the F/pl.

dirkdj
8th May 2004, 17:49
You can download the full manual from the Garmin website.

Go to the FPL button, select page 1 for active FPL or page 2 for stored FPL. Select MENU and select Enter new FPL.
Start entering the waypoints. When complete, press MENU to activate or store the FPL.

When the FPL is active (FPL 0) and the OBS selector is set to GPS not NAV then the nav information will be available on the HSI or CDI. If this HSI or CDI is coupled to the NAV mode of the autopilot then the A/P will track the GPS signal.

If you don't have a Sandel HSI or similar with autoslew function, at each waypoint you will have to set the HSI arrow to the new desired track for the next sector.

I find the Garmin 430 very intuitive ad rarely need the manual after the first couple hours.

Speedbird744
8th May 2004, 18:18
Thanks for that guys, great help.

dirkdj
9th May 2004, 05:49
Speedbird,

The trick is to pay very good attention to the three functions on the right hand knob: you have the inner knob, the outer knob and the cursor.

If you master this, everything will fall in place.

Download the manual and the simulator from the website.

rustle
10th May 2004, 13:18
Have to endorse what others have said about the simulator.

20MB - but well worth the download effort though.