PDA

View Full Version : Booo Hooo

IFollowRoads
8th May 2004, 09:30
After the last 50 hour check, oil consumption in what has otherwise been my trusty Lycoming IO360B suddenly leapt up from under a litre in 5 hours to just over a litre in 4. A trip to the maintainance shop has condemned it :{

Has anyone out there got any good or bad recommendations for an overhaul (preferably in the UK, but will consider anything) - PM is fine if you would rather. FWIW, its done 2300 since last overhaul, 3500TT and is in a CofA rather than permit a/c (was Private cat, might go PT with a new engine). Price is obviously important, but turnaround time also factors in, especially at this time of year!

So far I am aware of CSE, Deltair and Jade, and have requested quotes/times from all, but know there are others out there, which I would like to hear about. For the sake of expediency, would like to make a decision by the middle of next week

TIA

IFR

TonyR
8th May 2004, 09:56
Just be careful about the term "overhaul", it can mean different things to different people,

I'd go for a factory re-manufactured.

I'v hedrd some good reports about this (http://www.aviationtechnics.com/motorshop.html) company in Holland

CSE have always been good from my experience

Monocock
8th May 2004, 14:03
IFollowRoads

I would just check the reasoning behind the engine being condemned.

I had a PA28 for a while that had recently been zero houred and the oil usage was about the same, 1 litre per 5 hours. I had this checked out and two independant engineers both said that there was nothing actually wrong with the engine. It carried on like this for a while until I sold it (for other reasons) and as far as I know the new owner is still having plenty of hassle free flying.

I really would consider a second opinion. The levels of oil usage you are talking about are not THAT high and may not be a bad thing in the long run (except of course for the added fixed costs of 200 ml of AD100 per hour!).

M

QDMQDMQDM
8th May 2004, 16:18
With the dollar the way it is, I'd go for a factory engine of some sort.

QDM

bar shaker
8th May 2004, 16:19
Does anyone remember when this sort of consumption was considered normal for a car engine? I don't, but then I'm only just into my forties.

The oil will be going out through one of three ways...

1) past the piston rings
2) down the valve stems
3) via crankcase leaks

All of which are unacceptable in any modern engine. If a car engine use 1 litre in 10 hours, it would be considered dead so why should this be considered acceptable in an aero engine?

javelin
8th May 2004, 16:26
Get a quote from Mattituck, they offer good shipping rates and good service

McJiz
8th May 2004, 18:22
Does anyone remember when this sort of consumption was considered normal for a car engine?
You'll find Alfa Romeos are pretty awful in that respect!

I don't know what the engine manufacturer actually specifies as normal oil consumption for your engine type but a second opinion from a qualified person is always a good idea, goes for most things in life!

Cheers

McJiz :ok:

Flyboy-F33
9th May 2004, 09:32
Oil consumption on Porsche 911 engines (not too dissimilar to your average lycoming) is acceptable at a level greater than 1Litre per 100 miles..! I found this almost unbelievable, but aparently true.

If my aero engine were using any more than 1 litre in 4 hours, I would start to worry. It is currently around 1 litre/10 hours.

GG

IFollowRoads
10th May 2004, 20:31
Thanks for all the suggestions. Monocock hit the button squarest - I went up and had a chat with the engineer, and it seems they had got confused between 0.25 and 2.5 litres per hour. I do have one cracked head though, so for the meantime its a new pot, with a serious investigation for an overhaul towards the end of the season - hey ho.