PDA

View Full Version : operations into LUN

acmi48
7th May 2004, 07:45
any useful tips for operations into LUN,handling problems,parking,lighting genenral admin drawbacks,ground handling coy's etc..??? appreciate your time

thks

CR2
7th May 2004, 11:42
Since I have an interest in this too, am going to sticky this one for a bit. Will also ask our colleagues in the African Forum.

CR2
7th May 2004, 11:43
Edit for this Forum. Talking B747F ops.

Any info appreciated.

rgds

CR2
11th May 2004, 08:44
No MK peeps around with any clues?

:{

linuxgal
11th May 2004, 17:35
Lusaka - no real problems apart from ATC. Just watch out for other traffic and keep your finger right out with the situational awareness. Avoid restricted areas south of the field.
Regret no info on ground handling, etc. as my experience going in there is airline and it's all done for us.

AfricanSkies
12th May 2004, 22:47
There's a DHL handling office at the apron, they use some very effective ground handlers, give em a call, I'm sure they will give you the details. Godfrey will prove useful if he's there, or Micheal.
Otherwise no drama at LUN, nice airport.

onehotflyer
13th May 2004, 07:33
Used to fly frieght in there often for DHL. Not too many problems that I can remember. Every now and then they would lose our flight plan or something but ATC always sorted it out OK.

CR2
13th May 2004, 13:21
Thanks folks, glad to hear there is no drama there (handling-wise).

manamana
20th May 2004, 14:10
Make sure you have a perfect clearance application, and the number on hand, as the Air Force guys there are bored, and usually "hungry or thirsty" (require a bribe). They do occasionally greatly enjoy throwing their weight around and causing delays.

Also the airport is occasionaly closed for VIP departures or arrivals. Usually for about 30 minutes, so be prepared for a delay or a spell in the hold. Not frequent, but possible.

But normally a nice airport to fly into, bar the controlling.