PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunk Seats - What to use?

PacmanUK
7th May 2004, 08:11
Does anyone know of a good substitute for a parachute as a seat in a chipmunk. Ideally we want something that can be used to put clothes etc. in and carried with us at the destination, but is still strong enough to cope with a heavy landing even when empty without the pilot sinking a good foot (not that we ever do heavy landings, honest).

All suggestions greatfully recieved.

foxmoth
7th May 2004, 08:29
You can't use it for clothes, but a Stampe I used to fly we used a plastic bag in the seat then inserted some expanding foam that then sets solid after a short time - if you sit in it before it sets you get a PERFECT fit.:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
7th May 2004, 08:37
Get some dynafoam and get it cut into the appropriate shape and upholstered.

Not the cheapest way of doing it but dynafoam has been proven to protect your spine when landing hard.

Other materials can actually exacerbate the forces on your lower back.

FD

AerBabe
7th May 2004, 08:39
There's a shock-absorbing foam you can get - not sure of the name. It has a structure which means when you sit on it, it is soft... but in the event of an impact, it goes rigid, protecting your spine.

Unfortunately, it's expensive. I just use a lump of fire-friendly foam from an upholstery shop, covered in a heavy-duty fire-resistant material. I've incorporated a zip so I can remove the cover for easy cleaning. If you want to carry it at your destination, you can always attach a handle.

Wide-Body
7th May 2004, 10:46
Hi

What I use is a specifically designed leather cushion cover, filled with high density foam. Now I would use dynafoam available from AFE in Oxford. The leather cushion covers have zips so that the foam can be removed and substiuted with clothes for touring.

In all honesty if you are doing aeros use a parachute to sit on. They can be bought from some place in Kemble at a reasonable price or use low altitude russian chutes. Heavy but well worth it (drop me a private message if interested).

regards

Wide

PacmanUK
7th May 2004, 21:53
Thank you all for your input, I will go off and investigate now.

Wide-Body, as of yet, we've not got onto aero's, but I will keep that in mind.

Cheers all

proplover
8th May 2004, 17:58
Try the Chipmunk Club - they offer a seat unit complete with a back piece. Easily removeable if you have the need to use a parachute however you cannot pack clothes in it - mind you Id rather have the cushioning effect of the foam than a bag full of clothes as you never know when that very hard or forced landing may occur!

Flap40
8th May 2004, 20:54
The Chippy at Jersey Aero Club has (had?) seat bottom inserts made out of stout wood and foam. They have also got a "suitcase" that will fit in place and has a foam lid to sit on. Try giving them a call, someone might remember where it came fromm

Croqueteer
9th May 2004, 07:36
PacmanUK, there is no substitute for a prachute! Believe me.