PDA

View Full Version : Blind pilot sets altitude record

rotorcraig
6th May 2004, 15:47
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/3688777.stm) from BBC NewsBlind pilot sets altitude record

A blind adventurer and his co-pilot battled wind chill temperatures of -60C to claim the British microlight altitude record.

Miles Hilton-Barber, 55, soared to 20,020ft above the Northumberland countryside alongside co-pilot Storm Smith in the open cockpit.

The pair pushed the microlight to its limit to break the record on Wednesday.

Mr Hilton-Barber, a married father-of-three from Duffield, Derbyshire, is a veteran of adventures across the globe.

He has already completed a 150 mile endurance race through the Sahara, man-hauled a sledge across Antarctica and completed a Siberian ice marathon.

After the record-breaking flight, Mr Hilton-Barber said: "That was colder than I ever was in Antarctica.

"My hands are very painful now and my eyelashes were freezing together.

"I had to close my eyes to keep my eyeballs warm."

The corporate motivational speaker went blind 25 years ago due to a genetic condition.

He added: "I can see light and darkness and I could tell the sun was up there and I could make out if there were clouds below or if there was glare coming back off them.

"Now I'm feeling absolutely pumped up and very excited."

The dual-controlled flight is being checked by experts who will verify it against the current British record of 10,817ft.

Mr Smith, a married father of four who lives in Newcastle, said the Wednesday record attempt took 90 minutes and towards the end the microlight was barely gaining any height.

He said the air temperature was down to -37C and with the wind chill, it was around -60C.

The pair wore electrically heated suits and required oxygen.

Mr Smith said: "The last 1,000ft was really difficult, as the air is so much thinner the engine power dropped."

After the safe landing back at Eshott Airfield, between Alnwick and Morpeth, Mr Hilton-Barber hoped the flight would inspire others.

The pair will fly the microlight from London to Sydney in January next year.RC

MLS-12D
6th May 2004, 22:11
Good for him!!!! :ok:

andyb79
6th May 2004, 23:54
nice one its good to hear of someone who doesnt just lie down and feel sorry for himself.

well done:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
7th May 2004, 06:59
Having spoken to the gent a few times he could most certainly not be accused of staying put or feeling sorry for himself. Clearly a very motivated adventurer of the old school.

I confess I can't myself quite understand why to somebody who can't enjoy the view flying gives him such a buzz, but am glad that it does and am very impressed by what he's done.

G